Removing paint from hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee L

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All,

We have been given an old WBC hive that has been painted over multiple times. We would like to get it back to looking somewhat like its best.

We have tried sanding it down by hand but it is taking forever. Is there any type of paint remover we could use?

Many thanks

Lee

Hi All,

We have been given an old WBC hive that has been painted over multiple times. We would like to get it back to looking somewhat like its best.

We have tried sanding it down by hand but it is taking forever. Is there any type of paint remover we could use?

Many thanks

Lee
Could you use a heat gun?

A belt sander with a coarse grade belt, then follow with a fine grade belt to smooth off.
No chemicals that way.

Hi All,

Many thanks

Lee
Sandblaster works well.

Try an electric drill with decent diameter wire brush disc attachment. I've just stripped some old oak and pine beams of their old paint and back to the wood with these, and left a good finish.

Hi All,

Many thanks

Lee

Presumably no lead in the old paint?

A belt sander with a coarse grade belt, then follow with a fine grade belt to smooth off.
No chemicals that way.
A belt sander is by far the quickest option. (Wickes cheapie is OK)
A coarse grade paper for multiple paint layers, medium for thin layers, fine for finishing.
If bulk removal is what you need, nothing else is quicker or easier.

You do need goggles and a mask.
Corners etc will be an issue- hand finishing is easiest.

(Stripped a 3 meter wide 5 bar gate like that - 50 years worth of paint layers. Used a LOT of coarse sheets = buy 10 at a time )

Wire-brush wheel has the advantage of being able to get into most of the recesses. One of the detail Sanders with a triangular head plate can get the rest.

thanks all. Great advice

Hello ....Have you found a product to remove the paint from your behive? If yes, could you please tell me how you went about it? Did you use a specific product ? I recently came across a paint-stripper online, but I'm unsure about its effectiveness. I wonder if anyone has used it before? I would like to remove some old paint from my chair . Thank you very much.

Hello ....Have you found a product to remove the paint from your behive? If yes, could you please tell me how you went about it? Did you use a specific product ? I recently came across a paint-stripper online, but I'm unsure about its effectiveness. I wonder if anyone has used it before? I would like to remove some old paint from my chair . Thank you very much.
If it's the whole of a wooden chair I would think about having it dipped before sanding and refinishing.
Modern consumer paint stripper doesn't seem very good since you can't get methylene chloride ones any more.
I've had success with caustic soda solution thickened with wallpaper paste. Always add caustic to water not the other way around, and cover it whilst it dissolves, it will get hot and fizz a bit, and you don't want to breathe any aerosol! Hand and eye protection is highly advised.

Belt sanders and wire brushes are just likely to make a mess of the soft cedar
Hot air gun or torch!
Question is if it’s on that well and not pealing just sand and paint over.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back