Removing Nadired Super

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JC47

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a super under my National BB. Am I right in assuming that I can remove it as soon as we get a warmer period of weather ?

You need to see what's in the frames first. Put above QE.

I have five hives with nadired supers and I routinely take them off at first spring inspection when they are invariably empty

It's a bit early to be putting space above the brood nest imho

I wait until I need the first super on top, I find the queen, make sure she is in the bb, then put a queen excluder with the nadired super above. Any brood emerges and it gets filled with nectar, that early on there is very little drone brood if any so not many drones get stuck above the excluder.
However it is usually empty at this time of the year. So you can just remove it if that is the case. But often it has many bees passing through it so clear the bees by shaking or using a clearer board but MAKE SURE THE QUEEN IS SAFE IN THE BB FIRST!!!
E

You need to consider temperature, empty, cold space above the cluster before the bees actually need that space but not so late that they start swarm preparations. Who said beekeeping was easy?

JC did say once it gets warmer, so I replied on that basis, it would be a very bad move to do that now!!

The super was left on when the hive was treated with apiguard. Will there be any residues of thymol on it which could taint future honey

The super was left on when the hive was treated with apiguard. Will there be any residues of thymol on it which could taint future honey

Not that you will notice hopefully
E

Thank you for your valued advice. I have just found the answer to the Apiguard in supers question on another thread, Super and Apiguard. The answer from Erichalfbee has answered my question.

Very low risk but I've always used apiguard when the colony was reduced to brood box only.

Back