Removing Entrance Block (Entrance Reducer) from the hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john1

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,
I have an entrance block (entrance reducer) in the hive. I can see when the weather is good, a lot of bees are outside the hive near the entrance and I feel like I should remove the entrance block. Is it time to remove the entrance block?
Thanks,

Hi,
I have an entrance block (entrance reducer) in the hive. I can see when the weather is good, a lot of bees are outside the hive near the entrance and I feel like I should remove the entrance block. Is it time to remove the entrance block?
Thanks,
Definitely.

Up to you, some leave them in all the time. All mine are out now!

Hi,
Thanks,
Depends on the aperture in the block. Some of us use floors with fixed aperture restrictors

We have various sized blocks which we use so ours isn't fully open probably about 6 inches

I've built an underfloor entrance for my hives (for when I get a colony, next year) which doesn't have a reducer - is a reducer a required part of the entrance or is it fine to leave it open full width?

Edit to add: the floor is the same design that Laurence (Black mountain Honey) demonstrated in one of his videos, so the opening is only 8mm wide where the bees will crawl up and into the brood box.

Last edited:
I evaluate the need of ventilation from the number of ventilating bees. In July during main flow I keep entrance block off.

Yes, I don't from others what they do. Bees tell when the enrances and ventilation is proper. Keep in mind that weather is coolest at night.

Here among beekeepers there are huge bebates, what kind of floor and what kind of ventilations hives should have. Debates are eternal. Mere mesh.

Guys here are often afraid that our summer is too hot to the bees. I tell them that the bees are from Africa.

Last edited:
I've built an underfloor entrance for my hives (for when I get a colony, next year) which doesn't have a reducer - is a reducer a required part of the entrance or is it fine to leave it open full width?

Edit to add: the floor is the same design that Laurence (Black mountain Honey) demonstrated in one of his videos, so the opening is only 8mm wide where the bees will crawl up and into the brood box.
All mine are on UFE. I leave it wide open all year.

This is what mine is like (but I have a slide out varroa board in mine below the mesh by a couple of inches). Grabbed this pic of the net, this isn't mine.

UFE.jpg

This is what mine is like (but I have a slide out varroa board in mine below the mesh by a couple of inches). Grabbed this pic of the net, this isn't mine.

View attachment 31838
Yes I have my entrance half way back and like you have an inspection board a couple of inches below.

No the mesh

Ah right. But, @Finman surely the vent holes at the top of the hive are just as important as the underfloor entrance as the size of those will limit the amount of air that can flow 'through' the hive (same as a house - you can open a door but if there is no way for the air to flow through it, i.e. an open window, then it won't, to a huge degree), so the relatively small vent holes in the roof will limit the air flow anyway(?).

Also, from the research i've done on this, this seems a pretty common design of floor so it surely must work and not be too detrimental to the bees - or have I missed something?

Latest posts

Back