Removing Bees from Super withour Escape Board

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stickyfingers

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Is there a way of doing or should I just wait till I get/make one?

I have 3 supers on at moment and they may need a 4th so its getting quite tall.

Well some pepole brush the bees off and quicky place said frame in covered box BUT, you say you live in London. Doing this obviously winds the bees up and not good with people around. Depends on your situation. Other use smelly things such as 'bee quick' to send bees downwards. Not done it myself so not sure what things would work. Be sure that your full supers are on top, just in case you've been adding to the top:.)

Bee Quick works OK. Better on warm days. Never completely empties supers but easy enough to shake off a few (dozen) stragglers.

Brushing caused ours to be seriously peed off with us for weeks. Our brush has gone to brush the patio instead of bees.

Clearer board works well with small numbers of hives (or large numbers of clearer boards) but the timing to best emptying is a bit unpredictable in our limited experience. Depends what the bees are doing at the time. Never complete emptying but sometimes not far off.

???????????????

My clearer boards leave but one or two bees at most. As for timing: over night sees them out, and in reality I think but have yet to test it that they are mostly out in an hour.

PH

Some commercial operations use a leaf blower. Some around me are happy with shaking them off. A working clearer board of some form is less disturbance to the bees and neighbours unless you absolutely have to clear now.

At the risk of starting another long runner about types of clearer board and combined use feeder/clearer/crown boards, I'll say no more than you'll find advocates for several types.

Last edited:
???????????????

My clearer boards leave but one or two bees at most.

PH

Yes that's what's I was looking at making. Splitting the rhombus and using two holes. Two exits for the price of onenot worthy

Latest posts

Back