Rehoming a swarm - what went wrong?!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kittietrixie

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi. One of my colonies swarmed and I re-homed it in a nuc box yesterday with 6 frames of undrawn brood foundation. 5 minutes ago they swarmed again back to where I collected them from yesterday. Any ideas what's happening and what I need to do to settle them? Thanks for any advice you can give.

put them in a bigger box with a frame of brood

Not sure what the difference is to be honest! It was a large swarm so it looked like a full colony to me, but then this is only my second season so...!

Prime swarm contains an older mated Queen .
A cast is a secondary or 3rd , 4th or etc swarm with a Virgin Queen . Casts are more likely to abscond than a prime .
But a prime may go if it feels too resricted in the box you have put them in .
Putting a frame of open brood for them to tend is a good idea .
G

Not sure what the difference is to be honest!

At least you are honest about it. Do you have any books on beekeeping?

Have you missed out on a beekeeping course?

If there is still open brood in your hive it will be a prime. If it swarmed a week previous, it will be a cast. There may be odd-balls when the queen is clipped.

Thanks for all your advice on this. Since my last message, they simply upped and left, flying off to the south! A strange experince over all but sound learning! Thanks again.

sorry to hear that should of told you to put a queen excluder on the botton of the brood box.

Does that mean they will now be Essex bee's! Sorry to hear you lost them, perhaps they have not gone far. I have even less experience. the books say the bee's gather up close by before moving to their new home.

the books say the bee's gather up close by before moving to their new home.

Is that so? Usually they already know of a better alternative when they abscond.

Now which book it is I would have to dig for! However it didn't say they don't know where they are going it said they gather together before actually going. So yes your right of course.

Latest posts

Back