Refusing Syrup so Fondant?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To save time, I take a 12.5kg block, cut it in two and place on the QX over frames. No rolling/wrapping or scoring and the bees have access over the entire hive. Bees also take offence to cling film and drag it into the hive, on the nucs they push to through the entrance and they can become blocked. If the unit dies I don't want the block stuck to the frames either.

If the colony is a decent size they can heat the slab and it'll turn over a deadly liquid, killed a couple of stocks that way when first testing fondant so good for new people to this method.

All this is geared around running many stocks and saving time BTW (and pain).
It seems you have a completely different type of bees to me. I don’t have problems with melting fondant, (maybe it’s because you use a whole slab?) I’ve certainly never had problems with bees trying to remove clingfilm( they just leave it on the frame tops) and the reason I wrap it is so I can decide how much to give each hive from 1-6 slices depending on how light they are.
I would also need extra supers to place on top to accommodate a 12kg slab. My strips fit neatly under my reversed crown boards with only 2” of space and not a whopping 6” in a super.

Not seen that yet, as the total face of these slabs is exposed to the bees they tend to attack it and take it down fast (if they like). Also makes sure they can all get at the feed if clustered and away from the cuts in the bag.

I have (sadly) killed a few hives as the fondant melted over the bees.

It seems you have a completely different type of bees to me. I don’t have problems with melting fondant, (maybe it’s because you use a whole slab?) I’ve certainly never had problems with bees trying to remove clingfilm( they just leave it on the frame tops) and the reason I wrap it is so I can decide how much to give each hive from 1-6 slices depending on how light they are.
I would also need extra supers to place on top to accommodate a 12kg slab. My strips fit neatly under my reversed crown boards with only 2” of space and not a whopping 6” in a super.
All the stocks are strong double brood (in most cases) and the fondant will melt, it'll melt in the strong nucs too. Also full poly units so assume a bit warmer and wetter than your wooden boxes?.

Half a block is only a couple of super frames (DN4) of food and both will fit under a standard poly feeder/poly CB which are usually 40mm plus the 10mm in the poly roof recess (and the bit of space on the QX), no need for the supers. Even with the flat roof it'll fit with a bit of a push (those crap Swienty roofs).
The Abelo and BS roofs both have the handy recess in the roof.

I'll stick some cling film wrapped blocks into the Nucs in Jan/Feb and drop some images of the mess the bees make, real pain.

Latest posts

Back