Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Spikedog 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
To cut to chase: I am having difficulty in getting some Nucs to take down syrup. I am using Maizey and Paynes feeders. The bees simply appear to die on contact with the liquid and the remainder standoff. At first, I thought it was a commercial additive in the syrup, but a similar pattern applies to thymolated syrup. Example: Fresh feeder and within two hours a simple line of dead bees floating at the contact line and some few others standing off [not a crush]. So, my question: Is it appropriate to simply add Fondant in place of syrup at this time? I would normally add fondant to lighter hives in spring. Any suggestions/observations welcome.

Swarm 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
more than 20, less than 100.
Sounds very odd, I have nucs draining these type of feeders. I use invert with and without thymol, all colonies have had both and no dead bees.

jenkinsbrynmair 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
some colonies just seem to have the lemming syndrome, have had a handful or so of them this year who just keep getting piled in.

Swarm 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Even the ones in the cup float back up with mine. :)

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Even the ones in the cup float back up with mine. :)
Yes same here. I use the 2 litre rapid feeders and fill them as soon as they are empty. I can fill them as fast as possible even with the cup full of bees. I just twiddle the cup and all the wet bees float to the top.

Swarm 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Noticed a cup popping issue with two feeders from maisemore, I was scooping bees out of the bowl last visit. Piece of slate and a stone hold them in place.

Spikedog 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
“very Odd” … absolutely! All hives were initially reluctant post Apiguard treatment to feed but got into stride and are now draining syrup down. However, Poly Nuc’s in the main, remain stubbornly reluctant with significant mortality rate at syrup line and the two in question now dangerously low. I did try a contact feeder (in case temperature issue) to no avail. Fondant appears to be final throw of dice.

PS: Thank you for comments re “Cups”. Have them on full Colonies and earlier Forum tips on “wiggling/irritating” cups, have resulted in very few ‘floaters’.

PSS: Thanks for advice re Fondant and will apply tomorrow.

PSSS: Yes, we did have a few “Lemming” or Kamikaze rushes which settled … but the Nucs in question appears to be sip and die. … or perhaps high divers (into oblivion).

Nige.Coll 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
some + a few more
Ice on the car windscreen here yesterday morning.
Maybe the cold syrup is chilling them past the point of no return.

beeno 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Ice on the car windscreen here yesterday morning.
Maybe the cold syrup is chilling them past the point of no return.
I agree, had this problem with some nucs in the past.

Latest posts