refractor problems

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks both

by calibrating according to Dave Cushman.....sunflower oil at 25% and most olive oils at 27%
We changed ours three times before we found one that worked!!!! Don't think it was user error

i am using organic sunflower oil atm and wondering if that is different from standard....

but otherwise...if i leave it a week, it seems to be around 0.5-1% out again

I don’t know how accurate the oil %’s really are. My guess would be a half of one percent variance is allowed and unless you are jarring ‘borderline’ honey is it really critical? Most of mine is under 18% anyway and Ive just pressed out a super of heather that came in at 20%. Just a thought, does yours have automatic temperature correction (ATC), if not the reading will be affected by temperature and it's best to calibrate it at the temperature of the test environment; and how do you clean it after use?

I check mine each year, so far no adjusting needed.

I don’t know how accurate the oil %’s really are. My guess would be a half of one percent variance is allowed and unless you are jarring ‘borderline’ honey is it really critical? Most of mine is under 18% anyway and Ive just pressed out a super of heather that came in at 20%. Just a thought, does yours have automatic temperature correction (ATC), if not the reading will be affected by temperature and it's best to calibrate it at the temperature of the test environment; and how do you clean it after use?

I check mine each year, so far no adjusting needed.
thanks Murox

i dont think it does, its a bog standard ATC refractometer

i have a bucket at 18.5 which is borderline for me so it is making a difference...will get some different sunflower oil and check again using cushman ratings

I don't use olive or sunflower oil, I use the expensive calibration oil for a brix of 60 and liquid paraffin @24.5 water %. Ever since one ebay recommendation turned into a totally faulty unit. Using both of the above it showed the unit was out by 2%. Bought an Index Instruments refractometer which works perfectly and recently bought an ebay one and that works perfectly. The bimetallic strip inside the refractometer may be faulty.

One ATC refractometer warns the following re calibration...:
  • Easy to use. Place 2, 3 drops of the sample on the main prism, close the plate and look through the viewing window to read the Brix value. If you do not have any professional calibration equipment, please do not calibrate yourself. Do not calibrate this refractometer with water.
  • Precision Measurement: Sharp dividing line (blue-white), good readability (daylight recognizable), adjustable eyepiece for sharpness adjustment
  • Calibration: the calibration line consists of 65% Brix, a colorless and non-toxic calibration solution with a light fragrance of clove oil. Do not need a test block, it is more convenient and accurate.

I don't use olive or sunflower oil, I use the expensive calibration oil for a brix of 60 and liquid paraffin @24.5 water %. Ever since one ebay recommendation turned into a totally faulty unit. Using both of the above it showed the unit was out by 2%. Bought an Index Instruments refractometer which works perfectly and recently bought an ebay one and that works perfectly. The bimetallic strip inside the refractometer may be faulty.
@hemo

i am now the proud owner of a bottle of liquid parafin BP

so it needs to read 24.5% to be calibrated correctly?

Latest posts

Back