refractor blurred or clear lines

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
sometimes my refractor has a sharp blue line for the reading and others its quite a wide blur

its not down to focus and i dont think its the slide either being flat (pressed on to the honey) or just allowed to rest on the honey

is it liquid versus setting honey does anyone know?

sometimes my refractor has a sharp blue line for the reading and others its quite a wide blur

its not down to focus and i dont think its the slide either being flat (pressed on to the honey) or just allowed to rest on the honey

is it liquid versus setting honey does anyone know?
I find it seems to be due to a couple of things. With mine you are only supposed to use a small amount of honey in the top section. I try and limit it to the top (approx.) 1/3rd of the glass (closest to the eyepiece) once the cover flap is closed. Too much honey can seem to cause blurring as can putting it in the "wrong" place. The other thing is the light source. Certain light appears to make a difference and so I'd suggest experimenting with indoor /outdoor etc.

I find it seems to be due to a couple of things. With mine you are only supposed to use a small amount of honey in the top section. I try and limit it to the top (approx.) 1/3rd of the glass (closest to the eyepiece) once the cover flap is closed. Too much honey can seem to cause blurring as can putting it in the "wrong" place. The other thing is the light source. Certain light appears to make a difference and so I'd suggest experimenting with indoor /outdoor etc.
Yes I think it's the light. Mine blurs in some artificial light but works well in daylight.

Latest posts

Back