refractor problems

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't use olive or sunflower oil, I use the expensive calibration oil for a brix of 60 and liquid paraffin @24.5 water %. Ever since one ebay recommendation turned into a totally faulty unit. Using both of the above it showed the unit was out by 2%. Bought an Index Instruments refractometer which works perfectly and recently bought an ebay one and that works perfectly. The bimetallic strip inside the refractometer may be faulty.
which model did you go for?

The Index Instruments refractometer isn't ATC. Depending on the temperature of room/refractometer they provide a plus minus index. Just checked the company went into liquidation 14 Feb 2023

Bin it and buy another.

My two cheap ones (cheapest was < £12) work quite well , I do check recallibration if not used for a while or the temp changes greatly between usage . But they don't show a differing result in very short time scale.

One ATC refractometer warns the following re calibration...:
  • Easy to use. Place 2, 3 drops of the sample on the main prism, close the plate and look through the viewing window to read the Brix value. If you do not have any professional calibration equipment, please do not calibrate yourself.

• The immortal words of Mandy Rice-Davis spring to mind 🤣🤣🤣

put paraffin on slide, adjusted with screw driver at top to 24.5

cleaned up

added honey and got 19%

cleaned up

used liquid parrafin again and was at 25%

a few tmes

Latest posts

Back