Refractometer calibration using golden syrup

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would have to respectfully disagree.

I will just disagree. It is a load of codswollop. Up the creek without a paddle.

What you are suggesting is rubbish all ways round.

...sheer crass stupidity on a scientific basis.

Your failings (in your 'method') are obviously two-fold.

1). The assumption that all invert sugar samples have the same water content.

2). The assumption that all partaking contributors already have properly calibrated instruments.

I shall remain polite, despite your views.

The 'obvious' failings in my method are not failings at all.

1) I think it is entirely reasonable to assume that different samples of one manufacturers invert sugar will have a more uniform water content than samples of several different manufacturers' olive oil.

2) I do not assume that all contributors have properly calibrated instruments. That's rather the point - no-one's is likely to be exactly on the mark. However, it is a well accepted statistical technique to take many readings (each with their own inaccuracies) and produce a mean which is a very close approximation to the real value. This is entirely scientific.

I have no idea why you think anyone would deliberately post false results, but it speaks volumes.

I don't want or need a calibration sample that's accurate to umpteen decimal places, or one that lasts for years. I just want a reasonable value from a readily available household product. I believe if enough people submit their own results this is achievable.

Fyi I do not post under any other names on this forum. Is this someone else you have flamed?

All of a sudden I like my 'shake test' that little bit more

Funnily enough, yes - have to remember where I put my refractometer before I can calibrate against anything! as for syrup, well, SWMBO has spent the last week baking and preparing for her grandmother's 80th birthday party which we had in the club last Sunday so Brynmair almost stripped of all cake making ingredients at the moment. (scary thought actually - and a demonstration of how 'generation slip' can work if my father had been alive he'd have been seventy four this year) and no,there isn't a massive age gap between me and SWMBO - only eight years)

Found an old tin of T&L syrup at the back of the cupboard, exp date 2011 :eek: it reads 16.2 on my refractometer.

Olive Oil is grossly misunderstood in this context.

Different specimens (brands, sources, grades, batches…) will vary enormously.
You would be daft to change the factory setting on your refractometer based on your reading from olive oil.

However … it is relatively stable over time. So, keeping a specific bottle (stored carefully) to check that your instrument is still reading the same from the same oil … is a pretty harmless idea. But it isn't "calibration".

I would agree that medicinal "Liquid Paraffin BP" should be a highly consistent and reproducible, readily available, cheap commercial product.
- Note that this is a pharmacy product, not from a filling station or hardware store!
And if Thornes state that it is equivalent to 24.5% water, I would be prepared to alter the factory calibration on my refractometer if it showed a different measurement.

The thing about "BP" (British Pharmacopeia) products is that they are standardised, and the standards rarely if ever change. Whereas any commercial supermarket product is subject to "manufacturer improvement" "new recipes" and the like - quite apart from accidental variations due to differently sourced ingredients.
http://www.pharmacopoeia.co.uk

surely, Shirley, JBM, it all started with the rice pudding at Lifton....?

Why not use Ambrosi* as it's 71.5 brix +_ 0.3%?

think you should have speciifed Ambrosi* Syrup as I can just see some idiot on here covering his refractometer in Ambrosia fondant and saying he cant see the line anymore

but a good idea, i tried it with A syrup from a fresh 12,5k can and my refractometer was reading higher water content that 71.5brix

I know that there are those who scoff at distilled water BUT my cheap, eBay, honey refractometer says to use it...

but then goes on to say that for the RHB-90/ATC (the model I have) to use dioptric oil and a reference block.

In other words, the distilled/R.O. water is NOT useful for calibrating the honey refractometer... but a casual reading of the badly translated instructions (Chinese to English??) might make it look as if you can.

Case solved.

Only one thing to do! Ban the sale of refractometers to everyone unless they can produce a certificate to prove they are trained to use one.
You can buy one from me for £50, or I can sell you some magic beans if you wish! lol

Only one thing to do! Ban the sale of refractometers to everyone unless they can produce a certificate to prove they are trained to use one.
You can buy one from me for £50, or I can sell you some magic beans if you wish! lol

Mine are £60 each, but they are self-calibrating ;-)
If you don't believe me, I sell herpetological oil that you can use to check it with.

I know that there are those who scoff at distilled water BUT my cheap, eBay, honey refractometer says to use it...

but then goes on to say that for the RHB-90/ATC (the model I have) to use dioptric oil and a reference block.

In other words, the distilled/R.O. water is NOT useful for calibrating the honey refractometer... but a casual reading of the badly translated instructions (Chinese to English??) might make it look as if you can.

Case solved.

Is the distilled water to clean the sample surfaces?

Is the distilled water to clean the sample surfaces?

No.

It is a simple no brainer. Distilled water is a good reference point for 0-10, 0-20, 0-32, and 0-50 degrees Brix variants. Not a jot of use for any refractometer that does not have zero degrees Brix as part of its measuring range, even if some on the forum believe otherwise.

Latest posts

Back