Recycling brood wax?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I know most advise just chucking old brood comb away, or at best, bunging it in a solar melter or slow-cooker. A lot of mine has wires in and life's too short to go through them individually removing wires to just compost them so i just cut the comv out, ckean the frames and rewax with starter strips. I hate waste; what're the best uses people have found for their old brood comb when they've already sufficient for any bait hives? Not bothered about making money from it, just trying to think of an actual use for all those deformed, dirty brood frames. Pains me to just burn it or bin it! Cheers gang, Ror.

You can melt it down - you don't get masses of wax from them but I just finished processing abour 20 or so brood frames that were really dark and I got about a pound of wax (They were my foundationless frames - you should get a better return on those with foundation). I sell beeswax blocks at £3.00 an ounce so that's nearly £50 - no brainer. Yes, it needs a bit of filtering and it's still a bit brownish at the end but - my blocks still sell so ... I'm not looking for show quality !

I made a steamer from an old brood box.
I load a box of frames in after removing the lock bar and steam the lot. Clean-ish wax drains out the bottom and gets filtered later. The brown messy residue gets tipped out onto newspaper and goes on the compost. The frames go for kindling. I've not found it cost-effective to boil up frames to recycle them; the amount of LPG used to boil a large container of water was quite considerable. Maybe an electric boiler (eg Burco) would be more efficient but Ive not yet found one at a sensible price.
Plus I dont mind making up new frames - I can watch TV or listen to my music at the same time.

I melted down well started to process brood wax but gave up after processing and getting little return imo it’s only the frames that are worth keeping and boiling in washing soda unless you have time on your hands over winter?

Latest posts

Back