Ready!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoanui

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
TBH
OK, the hive is oiled up with tung oil and outside. Now all I need is spring to come around.......still waiting......lol

I never thought about tung oil for a hive, if it's good for kids toys it must be OK for bees, let us know how it weathers and good luck

It Comes from the tung tree seeds, it is food safe and it's uses are wooden chopping boards, wooden toys fruit bowls and garden furniture, it leaves a transparent coat that is water and acid proof

Doesnt say its food safe on their data sheets

Ahh its in their web site safe for food surfaces

Last edited:
What is tung oil? Never heard of that...
Pressed from a tree seed, originally Far East but probably grown elsewhere too, I read somewhere that New Zealand gave growing it a go some years ago. Ingredient of traditional versions of "Danish Oil", dries to a soft sheen on bare wood for the Scandinavian furniture look.

I'll certainly let you know how I get along with it. I thought it may be better than linseed oil. It's easily absorbed by the wood and it didn't take much - about a third of a 250ml bottle for a four foot TBH.

I would advise not to use linseed oil on it's own, it goes black after a while

Back