Re siting bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mbee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have been following all the recent threads and discussions about moving your hive less than 3 miles and the chance of higher success when the weather is cold.

It still hasn't get really cold down here (North Cornwall/Devon) just really wet. They are not flying in this weather - should i hold out for a cold snap or will this weather do? I need to move 2 about 500m

thanks in advance for advice

I have the same delema. I need to move an apiary about a kilometer.

As the weather is not getting cold, I am going to have to move them 3 miles+ away, and move them back in a few weeks.

The land where the apiary is has been sold. Fortunately, we have been given an extra 5 weeks before I need to move them, so hopefully the ground will dry out a bit.

I need to move a couple of hives about a hundred yards. The only thing that's stopping me at the moment is that the ground is still too wet and too slippery to get a safe foothold.

Personally i would move them between now and mid feb. But just incase when in the new site pop hay or grass into the entrance like you would in the summer. Mind you i would be surprised if they havent been flying that you would have a problem.

They have been flying on the rare day that we have not had non stop rain and when we had one day of sunshine they all took advantage!

Think about it. Foraging is your main enemy for moving bees. If they are not foraging then the usual tricks, like a branch in front of the entrance and grass/hay lightly stuffed in it, a couple weeks of non flying, etc will suffice for distances greater than the cleansing flights without too much worry. Simple as that. Now, how far for cleansing flights? So for the shorter distances the two weeks cold snap is by far the best as a starter...

I doubt they are foraging much over half of a kilometre at this time of the year. But erring on the side of safety is likely still the best strategy.

I doubt they are foraging much over half of a kilometre at this time of the year. But erring on the side of safety is likely still the best strategy.

Certainly 250metres...21yo daughter had two in through her bedroom window today coming back at a guess from the gorse on the hill (useful pollen last (warm) winter)

Two weeks into a cold spell would be good. You could gamble on an accurate cold forecast but safer to have the cold spell behind you.
I moved mine after a week or so of coldish weather and found a hundred or so huddled on the old stand when they did come out

Can you not just seal them in for week or so? Obviously allowing them to breath. I mean, they arent really flying anyway?

Haven't moved them yet - luckily. Today was mild and dry and they were quite active. Will wait till we have cold dry snap, maybe snow and then move and cover entrance with twigs etc

moved two of mine about 60 or 70 feet, one only about ten feet a few weeks before Christmas during the first cold snap - put some twiggy branches over the entrances. the next day the sun came out and the bees were out in force but they were soon re-orienting and only a handful of bees went back to the old site.
RAB is right - foraging is what draws a lot of bees out to return to the old location - rain, cold or just general winter clustering will help with a short move you could just close them in for a day or two to make sure then use the crown board over the entrance/twiggy branches trick

Thanks for all the advice - moved them today. Have kept the entrance sealed but will open up tomorrow a bit and cover with moss and twiggy bits

Thanks

Latest posts

Back