Raw Organic Honey in the UK

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Himalayanbuzz

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello beekeepers,

I'm looking to import raw organic honey from Nepal into the UK market. Any thoughts on the legal procedures for the same and th ebest route to the market ? Any help would be highly appreciated.

Further, I needed to conduct a small survey in regards to my Masters project research, however, I'm not allowed to post any URL into this message. I would like to request the Admin for the same. Looking to hear from you. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Last edited:
How can you ensure it's organic? What control do you have over the bee keepers? While Nepal sounds romantic, I'm sure that the agro-chemical giants haven't turned their backs to the market there.
And why do you believe that we need more Far Eastern honey anyway. There's already too much being shipped in from India and China. Look at the jars in your local supermarket. So many labels say the jars contain "a blend of EU and non-EU honey".
I'm sure that you'll not get much encouragement from the small scale producers of "raw honey" on this site.

Hi Himalayanbuzz

welcome,

I can see your Post isn't going well for you, which is to be expected as you have asked us to help you to import honey that would directly compete against our own, but at least it hasn't gone too negative for you.

You have actually asked a question about Freight Forwarding and Customs Control; you need to use a Freight Forwarding Agent for this kind of stuff, they'll keep you straight and tell you what documentation you need to provide to them, for them to provide to Customs here in the UK. But your situation is a little more complicated than that, as you're gong to have to take the honey through India, meaning you're going to have to do the same there as well, this is a problem as they will not meaningfully communicate with, they will only do that with UK (because final delivery will be to the UK) Agents - so your going to need to convince the UK Agent that you are serious.

Start with Google-ing "uk freight forwarding agents" that'll give you a list of Agents, now contact one at a time (they'll talk to each other and it's a small world) until one of them helps you. You need to ask can they act as your Agent for importing a Box on a standard European pallet, containing Honey from Nepal traveling through India to probably the Mumbia port, weighing one ton (no lower than 250 kilos or they'll not take you seriously). It would be on a CIF basis (this is important as it means the other guy in India/Nepal arranges the paperwork at his end, the downside is you have to pay for it up front AND you have to trust him that it's done right, that's why you need your UK Agent to tell you what will be needed beyond the normal stuff). If you're importing a Box from ONLY Inida, Mumbia, then expect to pay around £250 to £500 ex. VAT, I have no idea how much extra it will be bringing it from Nepal.

You will have to pay for it with TT, an LC for a non-business will not be processed by the Bank, you will need to get from the Bank a list of information for the transfer, make sure the Form is filled out correctly, you WILL need to talk to their Trade Finance Department, MAKE them talk you through filling it out; make copies of everything, use email as there is a paper trail - make backups of this, you will need this all when (not if) things become stressful, for example when it's held up at Customs, or the Indian Bank hasn't forwarded the money on in a timely manner.

As you can see it's not that straight forward, and I haven't even told you about all the tricks, forged documents, deliberately wrong documents and then of course you will be paying someone close to at least a years plus salary.... that's a lot of temptation to fill those barrels with sugar syrup or even water (I've seen containers in which scrap steel was placed in them to get the weight up to match the Bill Of Lading / Packing List comparison - paid 'official' Inspectors are worthless).

I hope this helps you to start out, of course I'm assuming you have found a trustworthy .... supplier in Nepal, and you have worked out a way of determining you are getting the real thing.... and you have received a sample.... which has been tested? Do a Google to find out what the UK requires for Honey quality, etc.

As for the web address for the survey, just type it in without the www and we'll be able to get to it Ok, good luck on your Masters, keep us updated.

Hello beekeepers,

I'm looking to import raw organic honey from Nepal into the UK market. Any thoughts on the legal procedures for the same and th ebest route to the market ? Any help would be highly appreciated.

Further, I needed to conduct a small survey in regards to my Masters project research, however, I'm not allowed to post any URL into this message. I would like to request the Admin for the same. Looking to hear from you. Any help would be highly appreciated.

1 : Please define ORGANIC..... ORGANIC as defined by the Soil Association?

2: Your Academic Supervisor should be able to guide you in correct procedures to conduct surveys for your Masters.

Trading Standards for your area as the point of entry into the UK will no doubt be in contact with you for more and better information.

For a small importer costs even before importation can be prohibitive... illegal imports will result in confiscation of goods and a hefty fine or even a custodial sentence!

Yeghes da

Trading Standards for your area as the point of entry into the UK will no doubt be in contact with you for more and better information.

I don't think "Trading Standards" is monitoring this Forum, and if he is importing something described as Honey, I doubt he'll even register on the radar, as the Shipping Agents will keep his paperwork correct. If on the other hand he is talking about importing a small 250ml/gram jar, with say UPS/Fedex, then everything becomes more than simple.

But still, if we had more info. we might be able to help out a bit more.

Your other possibility, would be to explore a niche market, such as Fair Trade.
There are obviously even more hoops to jump through with regards to that.
But it might worth giving them a ring.
They'd know what it would entail to deal with small producers and import their products.

Nottingham address, Nepal flag, home of the trolls by any chance!,!
E

bingevader
that's an excellent idea, well done for thinking it :iagree:

I only wish I had thought of it... what I had tried to achieve in paragraphs, you have quite possibly achieved in one short sentence.

bingevader
that's an excellent idea, well done for thinking it :iagree:

I only wish I had thought of it... what I had tried to achieve in paragraphs, you have quite possibly achieved in one short sentence.

Yes ... but your original post was spot on. Some years ago I looked at importing Soap Nuts from Nepal - using a trusted source/agent in Nepal ... Nepal is less of a problem ... you can airfreight out from Nepal to the UK ... costly but ... more secure than involving the convoluted, unreliable, fraught with financial risk, route via Mumbai.

However, once you start getting into tonnes of honey you are going to be stuck with overland freight to Mumbai and the vagaries of the Indian commercial and customs systems - not to mention their roads or railways ! They will need the patience of a saint and deep pockets because, it's all going to be money up front and there are so many risks - and they all the importers risks.

Then ... you are importing a food product - I had enought trouble trying to get through the hoops relating to importation of a non-food but organic product (Soap nuts grow on trees in Nepal). In the end the barriers I faced, whilst surmountable, compared to the potential profit, made it a non-starter.

I'm sure it's possible BUT ... like most business ventures - you need to be sure that there is a market for the product first, then make sure that ALL the costs are factored in and that you can still sell it for a price that people are prepared to pay ... including a retail margin if you are considering selling through third parties.

Not something for the faint hearted I would suggest ... I certainly chickened out !

[/B]
I don't think "Trading Standards" is monitoring this Forum, and if he is importing something described as Honey, I doubt he'll even register on the radar, as the Shipping Agents will keep his paperwork correct. . . .

Quite keen on imports aren't you, or is it that "EXPORTING" is your mission here? :spy:

He's already popped his head over the wall by posting on here, so will be on everyones' radar! :ohthedrama:

Last edited:
1) How do you know it is organic?

2) How do you know it isn't Chinese honey?

3) How do you know it isn't Chinese honey chock full of antibiotics?

4) Are you going to test for 2 and 3?

I wouldn't pay a premium for 'raw' or 'organic' unless YOU cold prove it. I've been offered honey from all over the east of Europe and Med promising me lab tests and all sorts. But ow do you know they are genuine? I doublt you are importing on a scale to have that level of capex to be sure.

If you're not doing that, you probably won't know the answer to 2 and 3 and so again, I would avoid it because of the potential for fraud.

Looks like a potential can of worms to me.

Hello beekeepers,

Useful answer, nbeek, but I'm sure I am not the only one not concerned about competition.

Most of my punters want local honey and value knowing where it comes from. Some are very suspicious at first but once they know the bees are mine, become regulars.

My concern is about whether it is actually what it says on the tin (jar). If Chinese producers are looking for ways to export their honey via other European countries –-and it has been suggested by some reputable sources – it is not a leap of faith to make an assumption they might try a little closer to home.

Hi Himalayanbuzz

welcome,

I can see your Post isn't going well for you, which is to be expected as you have asked us to help you to import honey that would directly compete against our own, but at least it hasn't gone too negative for you.

Hi pargyle

Very Good 1 - 4 points that you made, I have no idea how you would test such things (can organic be tested for?); however on a slightly similar vein, I came across an article in a Anglo-French Forum in which Chinese Black Truffles were being imported, these have little smell and taste, so are worthless, BUT if they are placed in a bag of French Black Truffles they take on the smell for several hours ... certain individuals apparently 'salt' the real Truffles with these Chinese fakes, the unsuspecting tourist doesn't know until they eat them for lunch, to late! The real danger is that they thought that the Chinese truffles could grow in France and out-compete their natives, destroying a centuries long tradition. But I digress.

As for fake documents, the 'fake docs' that I've come across were always virtually perfect, how I detected them was other non-doc. inconsistencies, for example I would always do an international search for the container number that my first time supplier claimed had been ordered from the port, this enabled me to see the name of the NEXT company that it was due to be delivered to (sometimes you could negotiate good credit terms and only have to pay when the goods left the factory), it stopped us from being hoodwinked quite a few times with that little trick. But I am digressing again, sorry.

Hi pargyle

Very Good 1 - 4 points that you made, I have no idea how you would test such things (can organic be tested for?); however on a slightly similar vein, I came across an article in a Anglo-French Forum in which Chinese Black Truffles were being imported, these have little smell and taste, so are worthless, BUT if they are placed in a bag of French Black Truffles they take on the smell for several hours ... certain individuals apparently 'salt' the real Truffles with these Chinese fakes, the unsuspecting tourist doesn't know until they eat them for lunch, to late! The real danger is that they thought that the Chinese truffles could grow in France and out-compete their natives, destroying a centuries long tradition. But I digress.

As for fake documents, the 'fake docs' that I've come across were always virtually perfect, how I detected them was other non-doc. inconsistencies, for example I would always do an international search for the container number that my first time supplier claimed had been ordered from the port, this enabled me to see the name of the NEXT company that it was due to be delivered to (sometimes you could negotiate good credit terms and only have to pay when the goods left the factory), it stopped us from being hoodwinked quite a few times with that little trick. But I am digressing again, sorry.

Actually ... I don't think I can take credit for Points 1 - 4 ... Try PSAfloyd

Back