rapid spring build up

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
= = =
SIM SALABIM? You have been watching too much kiddies TV Finman, a bit like the Sooty & Sweep fan club.

dear hombre. I was myself a kidd over 55 years ago. We used that magic wordl already in those days.

I saw Tv first time 50 years ago.

60 years ago I had only toys black beatles in cow's ****. Since then I have been fond of nature.

SIM SALABIM? You have been watching too much kiddies TV Finman, a bit like the Sooty & Sweep fan club.

on another hand, on beekeeping forums I may read fairytales more than I have ever imagined.
Best poetry is on top bar foorums. Full of passion.

"If Verm-x is as good for bees as it is for poultry you'll have lots of varroa to count."

can't work out if that is meant to be positive or sarcastic!!!!

seriously though - it does look very reminiscent of the extras Norton adds to his patties!!!!!

Neither, really, and of course you are relating the ingredients to pollen patties whereas I was trying to say that it doesn't work as an anthelmintic in poultry.
I realised my post didn't make any sense but by then RAB had replied and I couldn't edit it :(

Erichalfbee,

but by then RAB had replied and I couldn't edit it

Don't blame me! You only have a short while to edit, before that facility disappears (10 minutes or so?).

I am still eagerly awaiting some more varroa drop counts from you, btw.

Regards, RAB

Ho Ho Finman,

I remember when the TV in our house was BBC only until I was 10 years old, made from a radar tube and had to be watched in the dark or with the curtains closed to get a reasonable picture.

My mother used to laugh at me as I didn't like getting my hands dirty. So that probably ruled out playing with the cow ****, except with a stick of course, then lizards outside Nicosia.

I'm glad that the TBH people also amuse you with their passion, doubtless they have also similar problems reaching a concensus about things like OA.

Stick with it, and stay cool, the winter is getting shorter by the day. bee-smillie

Erichalfbee,

Don't blame me! You only have a short while to edit, before that facility disappears (10 minutes or so?).

Regards, RAB

Thinking time needed obviously. I note that your post was only an hour and six minutes after Erich's. Give the lad time . . . LoL :rofl:

Ho Ho Finman,

I remember when the TV in our house was BBC only until I was 10 years old, made from a radar tube and had to be watched in the dark or with the curtains closed to get a reasonable picture.

My mother used to laugh at me as I didn't like getting my hands dirty. So that probably ruled out playing with the cow ****, except with a stick of course, then lizards outside Nicosia.

I'm glad that the TBH people also amuse you with their passion, doubtless they have also similar problems reaching a concensus about things like OA.

Stick with it, and stay cool, the winter is getting shorter by the day. bee-smillie

don't loose your own top stick.

I must admit. I cannot stand a good humour.

Erichalfbee,

Regards, RAB

Drop after five days,
13 from the hive derived from the nuc I bought in June which swarmed
Zero from hive that contains the swarm which issued
4 from the hive housing the nuc I got from my BKA

Drop the next five days

All three got thymolised syrup in the autumn and an Aug/Sept thymol treatment

TV licences were around in those days too Hombre bee-smillie

Drop after five days,
13 from the hive derived from the nuc I bought in June which swarmed
Zero from hive that contains the swarm which issued
4 from the hive housing the nuc I got from my BKA

Drop the next five days

All three got thymolised syrup in the autumn and an Aug/Sept thymol treatment

Looks OK to me.

Finman's reply would likely be 'good result, more mites less'

Mine is: Was that few mites really anything to go overboard about? Eight mites per colony, average, over 12 days is nothing at all to worry about. The colonies could have had drops of 200 and still survived with 'no apparent' harm. So the argument about treating to 'save colonies' is blown right out of the water in this instance. Wally Shaw was certainly correct for these colonies!

We can not even be sure of the efficacy of oxalic when there are so few mites dropped. Indeed, if it were a paltry 50%, there would still be a few mites left. I think I can cope with that sort of loading. Perhaps there were a lot more dropped with autumn thymol treatment? And the bees were surviving OK then!

No, oxalic acid treatment is often an unecessary incursion, by the beekeeper, for very little gain (as per Wally Shaw).

Let me be unequivocal here; I agree with oxalic acid treatment if necessary. It is just that I find it unecessary most of the time. Oxalic acid has never eradicated varroa from a colony, it is automatically applied by a lot of beekeepers simply to avoid other methods of control, which may be far better for the bees.

Your choice on whether you treat, but let nobody say it is an absolute 'must do'. It is obviously not. There are other methods of control for those not wishing to risk any damage to their queen bee.

RAB

it is automatically applied by a lot of beekeepers simply to avoid other methods of control, which may be far better for the bees.

RAB, if OA returns a reduction (unquantified) in mite loadings (without finite damage to a colony) then surely it is also of value to a beek that practices 'other methods of control' as well by, in all probability, synergistically improving the effectiveness of those subsequent manipulations/hardware selections/treatments?

Which is my current position on this topic. R

Oliver, 200 mites and still survived? Is surviving some sign of beekeeping skills?

200 mites now, in march 400, then 800, in May 1600 and your colony is mite porriage.

We were talking about spring build up which is very important at least to me. With that I may add my yield season from one month to 2 month.

But from where those mites gome again? You have so much Oliver that you may feed all your bees to mites but don't teach it to beginners.

RAB,
I agree that there seems to have been no need to treat with Oxalic but this is my first winter and I knew no better. As the years roll by and my experience increases hopefully I can make better informed decisions based on that experience. Apologies for hijacking the thread which is about spring build up after all. At the moment I will leave the bees to it. No OSR anywhere near.

Latest posts

Back