Rapid feeding / dead bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrithBees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Just recently I have noticed quite a few dead bees at the base of my rapid feeder when I have been to top up. This hasn't happened before and I have been careful to top up slowly to avoid drowning the feeding bees.
Has anyone else witnessed this, any ideas other than clumsy beekeeper?

Not a clumsy beekeeper.

Compared to the total numbers in the colony it is not a lot, but it is distressing to see. I stick sand to the slippery slopes to help them get a grip. It seems to help:

sand cone.jpg

If you use PVA glue, make sure it is wateproof PVA glue

Not a clumsy beekeeper.

Compared to the total numbers in the colony it is not a lot, but it is distressing to see. I stick sand to the slippery slopes to help them get a grip. It seems to help:

View attachment 28381

If you use PVA glue, make sure it is wateproof PVA glue
I do the same but spray with aerosol paint and dust with dry sand. Works for me.

If syrup is too strong, it makes different things to bees. They cannot rise up from the syrup. That is one reason.

Because they are over full almost nectar drunk?

What? Nectar drunk?

Strong syrup act like a glue. It crystallizes to wings and hairs. Bees have difficulties to move. Nothing to do with drunk. If syrup is proper, the bee can crawl from syrup to the surface and save itself from drowning.

Curly, next you claim that bees have diabetes 2.

What? Nectar drunk?

Strong syrup act like a glue. It crystallizes to wings and hairs. Bees have difficulties to move. Nothing to do with drunk. If syrup is proper, the bee can crawl from syrup to the surface and save itself from drowning.

Curly, next you claim that bees have diabetes 2.
Well....... Aye!

Thank you all, some good ideas for me to try - as you say it is distressing to see albeit o lying a few in the scheme of things!

Thank you all, some good ideas for me to try - as you say it is distressing to see albeit o lying a few in the scheme of things!
I had that problem last year with 1:1 syrup. This year I broke up an ice lolly stick and made a circle of floats for the bees, but that was a bit fiddly. Now I've moved up to 2:1 syrup, unlike the previous posts, I've watched the bees when I've been topping up and they easily get out of the more viscous liquid. There have been no casualties to see out of many litres over several hives. I also find that a Miller feeder seems a safer option.

Ashforth type feeders I find are better esp if a hive isn't dead level, the bees at some point can gain entry in to the main reservoir and clean it all up. Have not had bees drown in these types other wise I use the 4 pint plastic feeder and make sure syrup isn't too thick.

Ashforth type feeders I find are better esp if a hive isn't dead level, the bees at some point can gain entry in to the main reservoir and clean it all up. Have not had bees drown in these types other wise I use the 4 pint plastic feeder and make sure syrup isn't too thick.
Looking at internet images I'm not sure what the difference is; Abelo calls mine a mini Ashforth feeder, so I agree with your comment.

The Ashforth has the obstacle/dam set up at one end of the feeder and not in the center, feeding wise the bees access in a similar fashion.

Back