Ramipril and bee stings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oliver90owner

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Anyone out there taking Ramipril, who would like to comment?

I definitely get the 'ramipril cough' after getting stung (happened again today). Previously I wasn't sure whether it was antihistamines or the sting or a combination of all three - but I am now.

RAB

Rab have you just started the Ramipril?Been on it a long time and take a lot more heart drugs I have found over time that sting reactions which started when I was first on tablets have settled down but it took a long while.

Anyone out there taking Ramipril, who would like to comment?

I definitely get the 'ramipril cough' after getting stung (happened again today). Previously I wasn't sure whether it was antihistamines or the sting or a combination of all three - but I am now.

RAB

i was taken off Rampril as i got titinus but if stung i also had dizzyness and severe titinus for 24hours...sting seemed to enhance the rampril....did not get the cough though

now on perindopril tert-butylamine which is known to increase sensitivity to bee stings....should be fun

Last edited:
Thanks, MM.

Doc said he had never heard of any connection when I told him of my suspicions. He will have, on my next visit.

Not too much of a problem - more of a nuisance. They will be changing my meds again in May, so I shall wait and see. Been on the ramipril since November 2010 and it was recently doubled to 5mg.

I know ibuprofen affects the severity of reaction to stings, so I keep off that.

Doesn't look like many (regulars, at least) are taking it, or they are unwilling to contribute to the thread.

RAB

I'm on 10mg Ramipril.

Beekeeping course starts soon. I'll let you know if I get a Ramipril cough if (when) I get stung.

There is certainly a connection between the use of ACE inhibitors and the increased sensitisation of individuals to bee and wasp venom. This is due to the build up of Bradykinin in the body that is a vasodilator...which in effect prevents your blood vessels constricting and makes them more leakier when histamine is released into the circulation from exposure to bee venom. The cough may occur (and don't quote me on this) when histamine release potentiates the effect of high bradykinin levels due to the ACE inhibitor and therefore worsens the cough effect.

If you do get a bad reaction or a more unfavourable one, then there are other types of anti hypertensive drugs you could take instead that may be more suitable to your lifestyle.

Andy

Rab have you just started the Ramipril?Been on it a long time and take a lot more heart drugs I have found over time that sting reactions which started when I was first on tablets have settled down but it took a long while.
Although I've kept bees for yonks I always suffered from strong local reactions to bee stings (nearly gave up many times)
After a heart attack and being prescribed various medicines, I suddenly ceased having any reactions what so ever :).
Doc Stits' reckons its the ace inhibitor 'lisinopril' that's likely to be the one ,as it's anti inflammatory !
VM

I have been on Ramipril for years for Blood pressure, and get the cough first thing in the morning but have been stung many times whilst on them and no noticable effects, touching wood typing this, now got to go and deal with some bees.
kev

Never even heard of 'The cough' :), Lisinopril must suit me well Dosage 10 mg.
VM

I'm on Ramipril, 2.5mg. Got stung above the eyebrow last week, and it closed up one eye and swelling eventually manifested itself into 2 huge eyebags. I don't think the Ramipril was responsible though, as I usually get fairly severe reactions to stings.

I didn't get a cough, either.

Lisinopril looks like a better ACE inhibitor for beekeepers going by what VM says. What makes the docs decide on which ones to precsribe? Money!??:reddevil:

I took a couple of ibuprofen pills a couple of days later to try to get the swelling down...RAB do you have any more info as to why one shouldn't take it with stings? Sounds interesting...

OH is on Tareg (Valsartan) - has no cough nor sensitivity to stings

Im on Ramipril 10mg. I was stung over 100 times last year and twice already this year... no problems whatsoever

I took a couple of ibuprofen pills a couple of days later to try to get the swelling down...RAB do you have any more info as to why one shouldn't take it with stings? Sounds interesting...

My experience is any NSAID (None steroidal Anti Inflammatory drug) e.g. Ibuprofen and several others, definitely exacerbate sting reactions. Plenty research, just type "ibuprofen NSAID bee sting reaction" into google or some such combination, and you can spend an hour or two surfing around.

Despite a ruptured disc in my back I now avoid NSAIDS altogether if possible. I had a reaction even weeks after I'd ceased using them to recover from an 'episode' of bad-back'itis.

Adam

Thanks to all, really. Some ideas to go back to my doctor and cardiologist with.

The best thing I have had done this last year was of removal of beta-blockers (OK, ticker now races a bit, but no blood pressure issues). They were really screwing me up. They are suggesting I restart, but I will not go back on atenolol, that is for certain.

RAB

on 2.5 ramipril no reaction to stings other than first minute, also take a bucketfull of other heart tabs for some time with no probs, or cough

I really wish you well with your meds. It's a pity there are not more informed clinicians about.
There is a nasty spiral to avoid. Drugs to counteract the side effects of others is where it starts.

Latest posts

Back