Queens named

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't give my queens female names. I name the colony by a marker I screw to the box which can be a shell or a lego brick or a plastic toy or something out of a Christmas cracker. So I have colonies Shell, Lego, Shaun (the Sheep) and Frog.
Introduce queen to a new colony or move it on to a bigger box and move the marker over to new box. So I suppose I am naming the queen. ?
I'm not weird. 🤪

Yep brilliant names. Anyone else care to divulge?

I relent.
XBee, Gloucester Green Spot, MaybeNot, Valerie, Holly, Cosmos Lives Again and Berlin

You have some good bee names, no need to be shy.

The great thing about naming queen bees is that you can call them something ridiculous. Its not like you will have to shout it out in the park or get funny looks in the vet when they call your pet name.

I used to have a cat called Agent Smith! And yes, got some funny looks in the vet.

When I was about 5 or 6 I had a gold fish called Barbarian.

When I was about 10 we had a pet squirrel called Ratso but that's another story.

go on then....

We adopted it after it fell from a dray in our garden. My dad tried twice to put it back in the dray but once the smell of human was on it, it just kept getting booted out again. My dad made a little hot plate for it and we fed it with a syringe. As it got bigger it would go to play outside more and more and only come back at night. Then eventually it returned to the wild. But it was always very tame and would come and take food from our hands. It had 3 children and Ratso taught the children to come and take food from our hands too. So we ended up with a very tame population of squirrels in our garden, that would take food from your hand and not run away when you went outside. My parents moved house and the squirrels at the new house could never be tamed like the old ones. I still love squirrels to this day, and always feel a little sad when I see one squashed at the road side.

You have some good bee names, no need to be shy.

The great thing about naming queen bees is that you can call them something ridiculous. Its not like you will have to shout it out in the park or get funny looks in the vet when they call your pet name.

I used to have a cat called Agent Smith! And yes, got some funny looks in the vet.

When I was about 5 or 6 I had a gold fish called Barbarian.

When I was about 10 we had a pet squirrel called Ratso but that's another story.

go on then....

We adopted it after it fell from a dray in our garden. My dad tried twice to put it back in the dray but once the smell of human was on it, it just kept getting booted out again. My dad made a little hot plate for it and we fed it with a syringe. As it got bigger it would go to play outside more and more and only come back at night. Then eventually it returned to the wild. But it was always very tame and would come and take food from our hands. It had 3 children and Ratso taught the children to come and take food from our hands too. So we ended up with a very tame population of squirrels in our garden, that would take food from your hand and not run away when you went outside. My parents moved house and the squirrels at the new house could never be tamed like the old ones. I still love squirrels to this day, and always feel a little sad when I see one squashed at the road side.
Good tale there. Cheered me up no end. No need for that blue pencil 😉

I have been thinking about naming the Queens with female names, in alphabetical order, then their Queen daughters and granddaughters with names that begin with the same letter. I thought this might solve my problem as I'm having trouble following in my annual notes about who is the offspring Queen of whom. Thus Queen Anne's daughter would be Queen Annabel etc. Does this work or are their better systems of following the genetics?

I Agree with you drex simple letters and numbers work for me.
But also keeping notes of dates and apiarys they were from.
Our apiarys are just one word eg.
Lineside, parks, novers, catherton etc...
No need to name them with long names.
that's to much writing for this beek to comprehend.

I have Queen Hazel, in the hive under the hazel tree, Queen Cherry lives in the hive near the cherry tree, and Queen Victoria in the hive under the plum tree (even though it's not actually a Victoria Plum tree ).
As far as future generations go I'm planning to take a leaf out of human royalty's book and go with regnal numbers like Hazel II, Cherry IV etc

Latest posts

Back