Queen Wasp.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 National Hives & 1 Observation Hive.(Indoors) & lots of empty boxes..
Wasp Spray.. 1............. Queen Wasp.. 0

We had one today as well. Lots of bumbles looking for home to.

Bumbles come every year to a gap between two bricks at front of house.

Cavity wall insulation so they cant get very far...

In the last four days I have despatched six queen wasps. :svengo: Doesn't bode well for the coming summer. it is amazing though where these insects hibernate, especially in the winter we've just had.

My daughter just missed a queen hornet this afternoon. It was busy dismembering a bee on a rhubarb leaf as we were doing our first inspections.

More swatting practice required.

My daughter just missed a queen hornet this afternoon. It was busy dismembering a bee on a rhubarb leaf as we were doing our first inspections.

More swatting practice required.

Extremely early for hornets to be doing any killing. As with all wasps, same as bees they can only feed on sugary liquid type food. They only catch insects to feed thier young. There was a report of an active wasp nest being treated last week, but i find that hard to believe. The earliest i have ever treated a wasp nest was in May. Hornets are usualy much later.

This was a hornet. We caught quite a few last year, and this was just the same.

Queen wasp........ now in the cider vinegar!

do like a bit of hidden body in me vinegar............... must be a Sussex thing?

I only noticed it because I was doing the washing up, and looking out the kitchen window I saw what I assumed was one of my bees going to the same spot on the fence a couple of times, so went out to see what it was doing.
When I saw what it was I went back in, got the spray and went right up to it and gave it a five second blast ...... :cheers2:

First inspection and continued feeding at out apiaries. On the bottom of one 14x12 frame was a small bundle of bees. Dropping it off onto my inspection sheet, it turned out to be a queen bumble getting a right going over from some of my workers.

All the bees except one came away from the bumble which flew off with a worker attached. Separation was achieved at about 15 to 20 yards, whereupon the cheeky bumble came back and began feasting on a bit of excised brace comb on a hive roof.

Queen wasp........ now in the cider vinegar!

do like a bit of hidden body in me vinegar............... must be a Sussex thing?

Do queen wasps sting..? if not it .....was a BIG beast and stung me twice on the back of my left hand... BITCH !!!!!:banghead:

Wasps are important creatures for our ecosystem. Killing a queen wasp now means killing a few thousand wasps over the course of the year.

People killing such impressive creatures and coming and posting about it on a beekeeping forum are quite frankly, not very clever.

If you like killing flying insects that sting, why don't you bunch of stunted brained cretins kill your own bees instead?

Couldn't agree more Midland Beek.

Sad really that more Bee keepers don't understand Nature as a whole.

Chris

Not clever killing wasps??? Agreed they do some good but they also sting people and when people have been stung and cant sit in the garden. They dont realy think about ecosystem they want rid and they dont care a jot about eco this or eco that

All in favour of live and let live etc., but having spend several weeks last year helping a weak colony defend itself against robbing jaspers, and knowing someone local who lost several hives to them, I will happily kill any queen wasp passing my way.

I have never known a colony to be lost to wasps of any kind including European Hornets unless that colony was already nearly dead and on its way out anyway.

I happily live with wasp and hornet nests within 150 metres of my hives with no adverse effects what so ever other than a few bees a day picked of by the hornets for their larvae. Given the hundreds that die every day from other causes it's not even worth a thought.

What ever you do, don't let facts cloud your thinking.

Chris

Latest posts

Back