Queen stopped laying

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highlystrung

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
I would like to ask some advice as I come into my second year of beekeeping - I've pretty much confirmed to myself over 2 inspections in 2 weeks that the queen in one of my 2 hives has virtually stopped laying any eggs ... She is marked and still in the hive. There are one or two larvae per frame, no eggs & there are also 2 empty queen cups ... There is some drone brood - probably from laying workers?

I am unclear of my options - I could unite the bees with my other colony (dispose of the queen) and try to get another swarm... I assume I'll unlikely find a replacement queen to buy at such short notice...

Can anyone give me some options other than uniting the bees with my other colony and advise how quickly I may be able to find a replacement queen

thanks, Neilhttp://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/images/smilies/hairpull.gif

Have you seen the queen? empty queen cups mean nothing, all hives will have drone brood at this time of year - what sort of pattern does it take.
A lot of people have been reporting queens going off lay at the moment - bad weather stopping foraging, shortage of pollen all adds up to bees slowing her down until things get better.

Check out this thread http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=36710 Consensus seems to be that waiting is a good option, it will get warmer eventually.

There's the Meon Valley Auction on Saturday. Mention of it in this thread http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=534136#post534136

On the plus side I've heard of the first swarms of the season, so it might be worth putting your name on your association's swarm wanted list. You can always say you don't need it any more if you're offered one.

This is my first time hearing of this, she stops laying because of extreme weather?

This is my first time hearing of this, she stops laying because of extreme weather?

Not extreme weather.
Think what bees feed their growing grubs.

My Buckie has had a break of about a week
The local bees that I caught last year are steaming ahead in comparison. They are out in all weathers

Queens infected with Nosema sometimes stop laying (and never start again).

Masterbee lives in Washington state. It's latitude corresponds same as northern Italy.

Extreme weathers are not needed. Only 3 weeks rains, and laying stops. It is bees' ability to avoid starvation in longer run.

We live in a desert, the only thing keeping it fertile for plant growth in our area is the Columbia and Yakima rivers. If you want to see anything Google Richland, and Kennewick Washington.

Two colonies close together? Unlikely that there are two extremes, if they have similar stores, etc.

Likely best to unite the colonies after removing the queen (check for two at this time of this unusual year) and look to make a split shortly (demaree or other). Easy to get back to two or more colonies at a convenient time (larger colonies, better mating opportunities, between foraging crops for your area, etc - and less stress for the beekeeper).

RAB

Hi All, thanks for your replies ... made feel more comfortable that she may be taking a break due to the recent inclement weather ... and it gave me another option that I hadn't thought of - to move a frame of eggs from my other hive into the problem one - then that gives the colony the choice of raising a replacement queen or sticking with the current queen... sounds best to me to let the hive work that out. best regards, Neil

We live in a desert, the only thing keeping it fertile for plant growth in our area is the Columbia and Yakima rivers. If you want to see anything Google Richland, and Kennewick Washington.

I have lived 49 years at the city centre of Helsinki. No one can keep there bees, even if some tries city beekeeping. Dirtiest places on earth to keep bees.

I have a summer cottage 100 miles away from Helsinki, where I keep bees.

I could too keep my hives on sandy areas, which does not gove any honey. As well cultivated corn square kilometres would be as bad to honey production.

But I have here places to choose.

Back