queen marking cages

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
browsing the sale items i see a new marking cage for £2.....

i've occasionally flooded queens on hot days as i use the marking pens (tried nail varnish) and a plunger q marking cage where the holes of cage are too small and if you press, you can flood

i've added one of these to my basket but anyone used or seen them?

Alternatively learn to pick up the queen and mark her while holding her gently but securely between thumb and 1st two fingers. You can then move on to learn how to clip her and so get a few extra days between checks for swarm cells. Practise on drones first until confident you can do it.

and mark through crown of thorns whilst on frame?
yes, much less stress and chasing the queen around, you have two hands free to do the job and the queen never leavrs the frame so the bees don't get wound up.

When marking queens, fingers work best and they're free. Just learn how to handle queens properly.
You can thank me later. :cool:

thanks and nice video

i will practice this on some drones this year.....i do pick q up with wings but havent ventured this far, i wear marigold gloves too so have to check theyre snug

yup....i do that now....on a glove and get a drop ready!
I was in a rush earlier in the season I was marking mated queen's and trying to get them ready for sale so they were in mini nucs.
First queen was good got onto the 6th and I was marking her through the cot and she was covered thorax and left wing, closed up and came to transfer her the next day and she was dead, I don't know if the workers had killed her or was it to much marker, quite gutted after spending weeks raising her to that stage.
Over marking has happened on two occasions know and both queen's were dead, I made sure from then on the pen was primed and tested before use also making sure the queen is well secure under the cot.

I was in a rush earlier in the season I was marking mated queen's and trying to get them ready for sale so they were in mini nucs.
First queen was good got onto the 6th and I was marking her through the cot and she was covered thorax and left wing, closed up and came to transfer her the next day and she was dead, I don't know if the workers had killed her or was it to much marker, quite gutted after spending weeks raising her to that stage.
Over marking has happened on two occasions know and both queen's were dead, I made sure from then on the pen was primed and tested before use also making sure the queen is well secure under the cot.
Paint on the head? I only ask because when those pens have gone wrong for me the bees have always cleaned the queen up - put straight back in the hive of course. But, because we hold her with the fingers we tend to get overflow on wings not the head.

I have tried marking cages as my hands have got older and progressively more battered but still find it easier, on balance, to hold the queen with my fingers.

Paint on the head? I only ask because when those pens have gone wrong for me the bees have always cleaned the queen up - put straight back in the hive of course. But, because we hold her with the fingers we tend to get overflow on wings not the head.

I have tried marking cages as my hands have got older and progressively more battered but still find it easier, on balance, to hold the queen with my fingers.
Yes sorry the head mate

Just a quick dab on the back of your hand usually clears the excess before marking. You barely need to touck the queen to get a decent dot on her, I can't understand these people who think they need to squeeze the pen down onto the queen as if they were stamping a letter.

Well, if I used that kind of force the dented queen would be more of an issue than an over spill of paint.

I use Toma pens which I find work better than the Posca ones. During the season I pick the queens up clip and mark but late in the season when if the queen is damaged there is little chance of replacement I mark the queen while she walks across the comb. If you get good at it you can put a quick blob on her without her hardly noticing.

Latest posts

Back