Queen Marking by Crown of thorns

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Late to this thread but ...

If you want to separate the queen from attendants then track her to the middle of a frame, then blow lightly, workers will move away faster than queen, easily isolated, then apply COT.

I use both COT and plunger method, preference is for COT. I have handled and marked but I do not handle if at all possible, I dont want to introduce any odours that might complicate re-introduction after marking. Also hold 2 mins in shade before release to allow paint solvent to disperse.

Modern cots have a flexible thread mesh. Biggest risk in my book is initial isolation and application of COT. Would suggest that if someone is carving up a queen with a COT then they should not be so ham fisted - goes for a lot of manipulations!

Late to this thread but ...

If you want to separate the queen from attendants then track her to the middle of a frame, then blow lightly, workers will move away faster than queen, easily isolated, then apply COT.

Thanks Rosti, useful tip. :)

This is one of those situations where three hands would be 'handy!' How on earth do you hold a frame and apply the cot? Do you lay the frame down?

My way is to lower one end of the top bar of the frame with the Q onto one of the frames in the hive, keep a firm grip of the top end of the frame with my left hand. This releases my right hand (being that way inclined!). Note that the frame is not laid down, which may injure the bees on the lower side, and the Q remains over the hive, in case of a tumble.

This takes just a few seconds of careful handling, then the frame is steady. With my free right hand, I trap the Q, then bring in the marking pen, dot in the "ink", wait a minute to admire the scenery - then pop frame back into hive.

It's easier than it sounds !

I think all bee keepers should have a bee keeping assistant! The kids used to help, running to fetch things I'd forgotton or didn't know I needed. So many jobs in beekeeping would be much easier in pairs. How do you take photographs when you gloves are all sticky, and how do you hold a frame and photograph it. Children find beekeeping too hot....probably all the errands I made them do!

It's easier than it sounds ![/QUOTE]

Yes I think it is!

I used to use a crown of thorns but don't use it now. Yes lay the comb down on the hive or upturned hive roof. The COT goes into the comb very easily so it is possible to squash what's underneath.
I now pick up - I can clip and mark a queen with thin marigolds on (Cheap QD ones) or disposable gloves and this has the advantage that your soap-smelling fingers won't contaminate the queen. If you're nervous about inspecting your colonies without golves on then you have an option.
The biggest problem in clipping your first few queens is probably nerves. Once you get over that you're fine!

The best tips are always ones that you discover for yourself by experience.

Haven't seen my queens in weeks. So wanted to make a determined effort to mark them. Then the other week spotted one. Got the c.o.t. out of the bag, got the right coloured pen. Got H.M suitably pinned down reached for the pen only to discover the pen didn't work. So had to let H.M go haven't seen her since even though the pen now works.

They must know.

Another tip a friend of mine told me is never leave your c.o.t in your trouser pocket as they leave a nice scar pattern when you sit on them.

SteveJ

My way is to lower one end of the top bar of the frame with the Q onto one of the frames in the hive, keep a firm grip of the top end of the frame with my left hand. This releases my right hand (being that way inclined!). Note that the frame is not laid down, which may injure the bees on the lower side, and the Q remains over the hive, in case of a tumble.

This takes just a few seconds of careful handling, then the frame is steady. With my free right hand, I trap the Q, then bring in the marking pen, dot in the "ink", wait a minute to admire the scenery - then pop frame back into hive.

It's easier than it sounds !

Bugger that - far too fiddly. Lay the frame down gently. Trap and mark (gently). I prefer the plunger.

The reason I want our queen marked is that when I take some members of the group, they are quite heavy handed and there is one that is so eager to prove that they can do anything I can that they almost snatch the frames from the hive! I'd just like to be able to glance and know for my own peace of mind she's not on that one. If I had it my way I wouldn't let them anywhere near the hive, but it's a school thing, blah blah blah.....I'm turning into a grumpy beekeeper LOL. I'm waiting until our new queen is laying properly before i even try and mark her. If it was just me, I'd leave her.

If you leave her until she's laying then if anything happens to her there are eggs the bees could make a new queen from kaz.

If you leave her until she's laying then if anything happens to her there are eggs the bees could make a new queen from kaz.

Ohhhh, I didn't think of that. I just thought there was no point until I knew for sure she was our next queen. It'd be like counting your chickens.....

Fingers crossed it wouldn't come to that anyway. But its just a thought.

Having only ever marked one queen and damaged her(with a COT) i have not bothered since. if i see eggs, then thats fine.

I first watched a queen marking using a COT at an association hands-on apiary day for beginners. The apiary manager is very experienced but she was moving so fast that he managed to stab her right through. Lets say the mood of the beginners group went rather flat after that! Made me realise how much damage the beekeeper can do, even before I started. I've never been brave enough to mark my queens after that, despite the COT and marker sitting in by bee box. I am sure one day I'll get over it. And I'm going to try practicing the holding method advocated by PH.

I have been trying to practice holding by holding drones. The first time I did it, and I don't know what I was expecting, the drone buzzed dead fast. It scared me so much I practically threw the thing lol. You know me and buzzy things. Probably not the method for me......

Having only ever marked one queen and damaged her(with a COT) i have not bothered since. if i see eggs, then thats fine.

With the normal run of things and while looking for maintenance / expansion thats fine. It is worth considering Q marking in a wider context though.

e.g. you are over stocked and want to combine two Q+ hives, how do you find and confirm you have removed a queen in preparation?

e.g. you are performing swarm control and to give some insurance choose to remove Q and an extra frame or two to a nuc, how do you quickly locate her?

etc

I think Q marking as part of an intermediate standard of keeping (where I regard myself as at) is an important support for a number of manipulations.

how do you quickly locate her?

I just use my eye's,don't mark any queens, and have no problems finding them at all,or virgin queens come to that.

But just to add, i fully understand the marking of queens for those with less experiance or poor eyesight.

Latest posts

Back