Queen includer

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reentrant

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Just thinking aloud about the pain of removing the QX from above the floor a day or so after housing a swarm to prevent the queen absconding.
It's a two-person job, disturbs the bees at a sensitive time for them and inevitably some will get squished.

So instead why not just fix a piece of QX across the (reduced) entrance like a mouse-guard?

If you have it I don't see why not. That is effectively what is done on apideas.

Just thinking aloud about the pain of removing the QX from above the floor a day or so after housing a swarm to prevent the queen absconding.
It's a two-person job, disturbs the bees at a sensitive time for them and inevitably some will get squished.

So instead why not just fix a piece of QX across the (reduced) entrance like a mouse-guard?

Indead.
However, if they should decide to abscond, The queen and drones would be trapped inside. This may be what you intended, but, what if the excluder becomes blocked? - or the queen is crushed against the excluder because she can't get through? You'd have gained nothing.
Then, you have to decide how long it should remain in place.

Can’t see why you need 2 to lift a brood box or why you’ll squish bees, and realistically 5 min after you’ve removed it they will have settled down.

" the pain of removing QX".
Just a light puff of smoke, lift Bb and put it on upturned roof, remove qx, put Bb back on. In my experience the bees hardly notice and takes all of 20 seconds.
I would prefer to do this rather than pinning a bit of qx over entrance.

" the pain of removing QX".
Just a light puff of smoke, lift Bb and put it on upturned roof, remove qx, put Bb back on. In my experience the bees hardly notice and takes all of 20 seconds.
I would prefer to do this rather than pinning a bit of qx over entrance.

OK did that and it was easier than expected. Full Langstroth jumbos are pretty heavy but this one isn't (yet).

Thanks!

If I’m including bees I always put a piece of QX over entrance. Never considered putting one on the floor.

Latest posts

Back