Queen giving alot of attention to one worker?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeMoustashe

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Apologies if this is something obvious but I noticed some behaviour from one of my Queens today that I couldn't work out, nor heard descriptions of before.

Having spotted HM, I noticed her come across one worker, very normal looking, and pay great attention to her abdomen. HM stood directly behind her, and licked and gently 'mouthed' her rear end with her mandibles. I can only describe her behaviour as being like a dog, examining the scent of a foreign dog on your trousers. No aggression not forcible chewing, so not an attack. HM had her usual entourage round her licking her and paying attention to her as if all was normal.

The bee under scrutiny was also being left alone by the other bees, save for one whom she was engaged in trophallaxis with.

Any thoughts? This went on for several minutes and was still ongoing when I returned the frame to the hive.

It is usual that workers lick queen's abdomen but I do not remember that queen as licked a worker.

What brings in mind from this in human workplace:" worker's career goes at the distance of tongue length to foreman's abdomen".

It is usual that workers lick queen's abdomen but I do not remember that queen as licked a worker.

What brings in mind from this in human workplace:" worker's career goes at the distance of tongue length to foreman's abdomen".
Finman, You have a way with words, obviously a**e licking in the workplace is global

Latest posts

Back