Queen cells argh!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex88

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
Trying to stay under 10
Hello all,

Firstly thanks in advance for any suggestions/help you may be able to provide.

So I am new to beekeeping and currently have two nationals, both over wintered from last year on double nationals brood boxes.

Now, I did my first full 2016 hive inspection at the weekend and shock horror I found found new queen cups on one frame and the beginning of queen cups on the bottom of another frame, I looked inside all of these and could see NO royal jelly present.. I've tried to attach some photos showing this.

So I looked for the queen and couldn't find her, I looked for eggs and the closest I could find were small larvae..

I checked again yesterday and again no eggs, no queen and now a sealed queen cell toward the bottom on the frame (I'll try and upload photos) and another queen cell next to the sealed one with royal jelly visible.

I'm almost certain they haven't swarmed as my hives are pretty much under constant supervision from my retired farther. So I'm guessing the queen has died or something..

What would you lovely people recommend as the best course of action now?

Thanks in advance
Alex

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    427 KB · Views: 117
Here's another pic of open queen cup with nothing inside

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 88
Finally sealed queen cup today.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 115
From those photographs I see no evidence of brood whatsoever apart from the odd drone cell - was there worker brood in the hive last inspection? My feelings are they've been Q- for quite a while that sealed 'queen cell' looks rather pathetic really - looks more like a last ditch desperation cell.

I hope this helps QC guide
I've not even finished building my hive yet, so am rather inexperienced, but that guide was sent to me by a friend when I said I wanted to start bee keeping, and its been an interesting read...

In my opinion, they look like they could be emergency queen cells, But please dont take my word for it. I would find someone local and ask if they can come take a look over it for you...

From those photographs I see no evidence of brood whatsoever apart from the odd drone cell - was there worker brood in the hive last inspection? My feelings are they've been Q- for quite a while that sealed 'queen cell' looks rather pathetic really - looks more like a last ditch desperation cell.

:iagree:

There's no brood patch visible, even if there is a queen in the cell chances are she will be a very stunted little thing and unless there's a good number of bees to keep it going it's looking pretty bleak.

Thanks for the replies..

There were some sealed brood on 2/3 frames but nowhere near as much as my other hive.

Is re-queening now a viable option of I remove all traces of queen cells/cups?

What would you guys recommend?

Thanks for the replies..

There were some sealed brood on 2/3 frames but nowhere near as much as my other hive.

Are you sure it was worker brood and not drone? Chances of getting a decent locally bred queen at this time of year is pretty slim.
How strong is that hive? I'd give it a little while again before deciding what to do.

Just drone brood by the looks of things..

Should I add a frame of brood from my stronger hive and wait and see regarding the measly queen cell?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    354 KB · Views: 96
There does look to be worker brood too it that picture and looking back over the others some young bees too, do they exhibit signs of being queen less? Roaring, aggressive?
It's hard to say without knowing how many bees you have present whether adding a frame of brood is a good idea or not, you would need a good number to cover the extra frame of brood, that said if they ar Q- a frame of young brood added may confirm it as they would probably build a couple more Queen cells.

Just drone brood by the looks of things..

Should I add a frame of brood from my stronger hive and wait and see regarding the measly queen cell?

A chance.. but yes add a frame of eggs and some brood from your best colony... are there hatched drones around in your other colonies?
Those drones will be hatching in 14 days from being capped plus will take 3 + weeks to mature... and the queen will take 16 days to hatch.... and another 4 days or thereabouts to be mature enough to get out and mate.

I would not hold out too much for the capped q cell you have.

Feed the colony.
Good luck

Yeghes da

The last pic looks like worker brood.
However, as the others have said, the QC looks like an emergency cell, which would suggest you are queen-less.
I'd be tempted to see what happens to it before introducing brood from another hive though.

is your stronger hive strong enough that losing a brood frame wont cause an issue? if so, I'd agree with birdsandbees, it may just provoke them to build a few stronger queen cells. On the other hand, if the stronger hive wont handle it, dont hurt your second hive to try and help a weaker hive

If you have a frame of eggs and larvae from your other hive put it in and see if they draw Q cells on it, if so you are definitely Q- Called a test frame BTW.

PH

If you have a frame of eggs and larvae from your other hive put it in and see if they draw Q cells on it, if so you are definitely Q- Called a test frame BTW.

PH

:winner1st:
T'would kill two birds with one stone!!!

( as someone once said to Sir Peter Scott!!!)

Yeghes da

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I'll open up my strong colony and see if they can afford to loose a frame of eggs and larvae.

Much appreciated.

Ok, now another twist to the tale..

Today I found eggs in the hive standing up at the bottom of the cells, they were so much easier to find with a bit of sunshine over my shoulder.

There must have been three half frames full of them in the top box.

There must be a queen in there somewhere..

In comparison the other hive has drawn out a whole 10 frames in a week and looks amazing! There's loads of eggs, Larvae and sealed brood in the bottom box and the top box has loads and loads of eggs visible along with pollen on the top of the frames.. On top of that I have a super they over wintered with and that's full of capped honey.. Really impressive stuff!

I'm transfered a full frame of eggs and larvae into the middle of the brood box as there were enough bees in the top box to cover this as a little boost..
I'm thinking I'll just wait and see what happens next now..

What good news....after all the doom and gloom! You must be delighted.

Back