Queen cell culling after a Pagden

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerrysw

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I am wondering what the consensus view might be on the following:-
Having just performed a Pagden I am faced with 5 or 6 charged QCs with uncapped larvae in the box without the Q. (Yes I made sure no QCs were transferred to the new box with the Old Queen)......
Would you:-
(A) Cull all but the best uncapped QCs
(B) Cull all but the best TWO uncapped QCs
(C) Leave alone and let the virgins fight it out

Answer on a postcard please!!!!!

Hi Gerry, welcome to the forum.

You have many options, and your choice will depend not least on the strength of the colony.
Accordingly, there will be different advice.
As you'll see from the many times previously that such a question has been asked.

The advice given to me as a beginner (therefore presumably wanting a rule of thumb to apply without thinking) was to reduce QCs to one if open and two if sealed (because you don't know what is inside). Which is reasonable if you really need one queen, and thus are prepared to risk the possible consequence (a cast swarm) of raising two.

These days, rather than simply culling the cells, I'd be thinking of letting the cells be sealed and then trying to harvest at least some to 'bring on' in mini-nuc mating hives.

a fellow beekeeper with a queenless or drone laying colony might welcome a sealed queen cell......

Thank you Itma, a very useful reply. Interesting isn't it to see the views of the essential reading books..... Hooper culls capped but leaves unsealed alone, other more modern prefer your solution. I actually did as you would but after 7 days since the Pagdon on inspection found yet another clutch of unsealed QCs which I again dispatched. The original saved cell was nicely capped so cross fingers for fair weather and good drones.

Yes you are absolutely right. Our association has an apiary where this form of exchange is encouraged. I would not recommend my Qs as her progeny swarmed 5 times last year despite my best endeavours

.... Hooper culls capped but leaves unsealed alone, ...

I suspect that you may be misunderstanding that advice.

My suspicion is that what was meant was that (an) open cell/cells should be kept in preference to sealed.

I am an exiled North Walian I am afraid, living in Bristol and only have a smattering of the "Mamiaith", to my shame and bitter regret.

Interesting, I will go and have look.
Just have and he actually does say ".......all sealed QCs are removed, providing there are some unsealed QCs......"
Lets not argue about it and thank you for your reply

I am an exiled North Walian I am afraid, living in Bristol and only have a smattering of the "Mamiaith", to my shame and bitter regret.

I thought that traditionally the gogs migrated to Liverpool unlike us Sionis who went to Bryste or Llundain - spent a couiple of years in Bristol when I started in the job, together with a few others I came to be known as the chairman of the Bristol Welsh escape committee

You are right .... I did spend 2 years of my earlier life learning to be a scouters. But failed and fled south. I am off to west Wales soon will look out for your bees

Latest posts

Back