Queen cage - varroa management

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Split all the brood away. In 24 days there will be no old sealed brood. The new queen is unlikely to have laid quickly enough for there to be new sealed brood
In the AS you have no brood at all so you can vape as soon as you want
I have thought through the Pagden procedure and tried to “split away all brood” but cannot understand how to do it. What have I missed?
Is the old Q not transferred to the new box on a frame of brood?
What is done with the old brood split away from the old box?
What is done with brood on the frame with Q cells in the old box?

I have thought through the Pagden procedure and tried to “split away all brood” but cannot understand how to do it. What have I missed?
Is the old Q not transferred to the new box on a frame of brood?
What is done with the old brood split away from the old box?
What is done with brood on the frame with Q cells in the old box?
Move the queen to the new box without brood. OR one frame of open brood.
The old brood box is moved away a few feet. Having chosen one open queen cell you mark the frame and destroy all other queen cells. You go back 6 days later to remove all other emergency queen cells the bees have made

There does seem to have been an unhealthy rise in arrogance, vanity and orange people with bad hair over the last 20 years.
Not to mention little semi-balding men who can rule by fear and who eliminate all opposition but don't actually put their own heads above the parapet. One wonders if the orange people and the little balding people ever listen to themselves speak and realise they make no sense.

Reactions: Ely
Not to mention little semi-balding men who can rule by fear and who eliminate all opposition but don't actually put their own heads above the parapet. One wonders if the orange people and the little balding people ever listen to themselves speak and realise they make no sense.
Yes. Maybe we can remedy it by turning the UV up a notch on sunbeds and put lead in furniture polish

Move the queen to the new box without brood. OR one frame of open brood.
The old brood box is moved away a few feet. Having chosen one open queen cell you mark the frame and destroy all other queen cells. You go back 6 days later to remove all other emergency queen cells the bees have made
Clear as crystal now. Alan.

Acid test: is this thread a shining example of innovation and one mindedness? No, I didn't think so either.

In the 5 ish years I have been involved in this forum, I have seen so many newcomers jumped on and told basically "that's not the way we do it" despite having reasonable amd admirable approaches.

I have seen so many newnideas instantly shunned BEFORE anyone has tried or even understood them! (Point proven here)

What examples of innovation or open mindedness can you use as an example?

Poly hives - nope
Oxalic acid - nope
Brood breaks - nope
What about the recent uncapping tool - nope
Gasvap - nope
Flow hives - nope
Nope
Nope
Nope
Nope

Seriously, struggling to think of any! It's always the same. Dusty codgers don't like the change. They dismiss it and put it down. Those with a more modern outlook try it, sometimes it works sometimes nor, but at least they know first hand. In many cases, When things do work, you codgers do come around d and quietly adopt the new ideas.

Just observe at Telford last week. All the old dusties looked out of place. Replaced by new, younger generation in an industry being transformed by forward thinking people. Let's be honest, that's how the telford show was born and the old show dismissed and dissolved.
Slightly late to the party but I contribute and

Poly Hive - yes
Brood breaks - yes
Recent uncappinhg tool, nope only as I want capping for honey shows else - yes

Ps, I went to Telford with SWMBO and we both looked at multiple new ideas and entertain them

O I also ride a bicycle with Garmin cycle computer, power Meter and also Di2 Electric gears which are set to semi automatic. New inventions if they work are fine. There are many things in beekeeping that seem old fashioned but that's because they simply work.

O I also ride a bicycle with Garmin cycle computer, power Meter and also Di2 Electric gears which are set to semi automatic. New inventions if they work are fine. There are many things in beekeeping that seem old fashioned but that's because they simply work.

Sounds like your bikes are so yesterday, they should be electric.

My cargo Ute bike I electrified to tow my trailer to the apiary, I found it no fun with a heavy laden trailer. The novelty of doing inspections via bike/trailer wore off after the first few visits so added a kit to the bike to make life more enjoyable getting there.
Todays tech means we don't have to struggle and live in yesteryear.

Latest posts

Back