queen breeding

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best story what I can tell is...

Our second boy was 3 or 4 month old. It was a nice summer day and my wife walked on the cottage grounds. A bee hit into her head. Wife dropped the baby onto ground and run behind the house door. There she shouted:" Take the baby !"

Last edited:
If some nearbye has a nasty hive, it spreads its genes around some miles.

Finman,

While I might agree with you up to a point, remember also that the second generation crosses (that, as you so rightly stated, can be vicious) may have been derived from the mating of two very docile gene groupings. So the situation is just as bad where these docile F1 and F2 crosses are concerned.

It would, in my opinion, be far better with 'local' crosses which gave docile offspring every (or most) generation(s), than this incessant importation of bees (from afar) which are clearly(?) going to turn 'nasty' just one or two generations down the line.

My question might be does the mating of two nasty vicious bees always result in nasty bees?

I think not, but of course they will not be as 'predictable' as an imported queen (which then predictably carries on this cycle of 'second generation' nastiness).

Those that do not import continually, every second generation, are able to cull their queens to provide a stable, docile gene line. But, as you clearly stated, that is a very difficult situation for someone with only two colonies (I think that is what I said earlier in the thread), so those that do succeed are those with rather more than just two colonies from which to select.

That means I am all for selection, but not for importation. Subtle difference here as you are a commercial beekeeper and want every stock to achieve mximum crop as well as displaying these other required traits. Another subtle difference is that my preference is possibly sustainable, whereas your preference(?) is predictably not sustainable, after that F2 cross.

RAB

Finman is correct in this.
“Nature knows best” is fine for feral colonies, but as soon as I bring a colony under my control, it becomes my responsibility. Even as a non-commercial keeper (i.e. I treat bees more like a pet than a source of income) I have a responsibility to the bees, and to people and animals around the hive. I have introduced the potentially dangerous thing; I must take responsibility for that.
Running a comparison. If I had a dog, and it barked in the night, disturbing the neighbours, I would seek out training for me and it to stop that from happening. Likewise if it terrorised local children by snarling through the fence, or even chasing them or sheep or something.
If my bees are ill-tempered, I cannot “train” them, I do the next best thing – I requeen. I don’t breed queens, so I would have to go to the market and get a suitable one. I would not kill a queen and leave to chance that her successor would be all sweetness and light.
Likewise, swarms are a nuisance to my neighbours. So I take precautions to minimise them happening. I know that people are unlikely to be hurt by a swarm, but they are still scared of them. Much like a snarling dog may just be playing, it can still seem pretty scary if it is snarling at you.
If my dog were to become sick, I would treat as advised by a vet, even if that meant euthanasia. I would do the same for the bees.
My point is – by introducing a dangerous thing to the environment, one must take responsibility for it.

If some nearbye has a nasty hive, it spreads its genes around some miles.

Finman,

While I might agree with you up to a point, remember also that the second generation crosses (that, as you so rightly stated, can be vicious) may have been derived from the mating of two very docile gene groupings. So the situation is just as bad where these docile F1 and F2 crosses are concerned.

RAB

you need not remind me what kind of crossings bees may get. You are not alone with your yard.
Every year I destroy some docile queens. They have not space in my yard.

It is 5 years ago one hive gave me 170 stings in 3 days. Mostly they hitted through the protection net to face and to neck.

"Finman- horses dont 'stink' they smell wonderfully of... horse".

Oh yes they do!

So to go back to OP - Susan, what is your thinking now? Are you still planning to let your bees do their own thing? Has any of the advice on this forum encouraged you to attend some form of beekeeping course and/or read up on your new hobby?
Do please update us on your latest thoughts.

Latest posts

Back