Queen Banking

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Has anyone had experience of queen banking, as I need to bank a few queens for a week (I know what to do, but has anybody experienced it for any pit falls) as i am in a nice position of having too many mated queens, with a dozen virgins coming on tap tomorrow (Friday) and i need the mating hives.

Due to all the fine weather some of my girls were laying after 6 and 7 days with a few coming on stream after 13 and 14 days.

I don't wish to purchase any more mating hives, as 18 is enough for me.

No idea

But you will probably get a BIG bonus for it.... if its like any other banking in this divided nation of ours!

Make sure the mesh on the cages you use are small guage just big enough that the nurse bee's can feed then, otherwise you run the risk of the queens getting damaged by the workers (torn wings, broken legs etc) i used standard queen transport cages in error once and had some very tatty queens after a week of storage.

C B

I had to do it a week or so ago and took the last one out yesterday. They were in a hive
which was re queening after an A/S. No problems at all. I put some young, newly mated queens in and when I took them out they were really well fed and chunky things and have started laying very quickly. I used the travel cages they had come in (orange clip together ones) but I put an eke on top of the queen excluder so that the cages were on top of the brood. Perhaps it was beginners luck but it worked fine.

Latest posts

Back