Queen advice following split

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hux70

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
So I split a packed hive a week ago leaving just a sealed QC in the original hive(or so I thought) checked it again today to see if any more had been made and found 5 more so selected the best looking 1 and removed the rest only to find after a few minutes of being removed the original QC I'd left in starting to emerge. I put the QC on top of the frames where she was swamped with bees. After 5min she'd emerged and gone down into the hive.
So. Do I go back in tomorrow and remove the QC I'd selected to leave and hope that the new Q has been accepted....or leave them to it :unsure:

So I split a packed hive a week ago leaving just a sealed QC in the original hive(or so I thought) checked it again today to see if any more had been made and found 5 more so selected the best looking 1 and removed the rest only to find after a few minutes of being removed the original QC I'd left in starting to emerge. I put the QC on top of the frames where she was swamped with bees. After 5min she'd emerged and gone down into the hive.
So. Do I go back in tomorrow and remove the QC I'd selected to leave and hope that the new Q has been accepted....or leave them to it :unsure:
That must have been interesting to watch👍
I‘d leave them to it too.

The cell I left in is sealed but I dont know what stage it was at when I missed it last sunday.

If they protect the sealed cell then likely a swarm with the VQ will emerge, may well depend on large the colony still is.
Might be worth a quick peek at that cell to see if it is good still or not.

Latest posts

Back