Puzzler

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonnyl

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Was in one of the hives on Monday. All good. One frame of foundation needing drawn but otherwise fine and saw the Queen. Just been in today and shes gone. One very good looking capped cell in the middle of the box have way up the frame and to the left hand side. No others. There were no swarm cells when I last looked and plenty of space. Have I injured her at the last inspection? But why only one capped cell? Gutted. She was a good reliable queen. Any advice guys? Thank you

Was in one of the hives on Monday. All good. One frame of foundation needing drawn but otherwise fine and saw the Queen. Just been in today and shes gone. One very good looking capped cell in the middle of the box have way up the frame and to the left hand side. No others. There were no swarm cells when I last looked and plenty of space. Have I injured her at the last inspection? But why only one capped cell? Gutted. She was a good reliable queen. Any advice guys? Thank you

Are you sure she has gone? Sometimes they hide on the side walls or on the bottom of frames. Also if your combs are uneven in places, she may hide in any crevasses.
I suspect that the cell was already there when you inspected on Monday. You probably just missed it.

I always see her and looked through twice and with having a fully developed capped cell then I'm kinda sure. Could be wrong though as I went numb when I saw the cell. But why only one cell? I accept that I could have missed it as I wasnt concerned about swarming so much due to the time of year, the space they still had to fill and shes only a year old. I'll have to leave the hive alone now and let this cell get on with it. I don't think I need to panic atm as there's still time for her to mate but I was going to start apivar treatment in a month. I suppose I'm right on the edge of having the hive built up enough for the winter now?

Most likely supersedure underway. Typically occurs at the end of the active season but can occur at any time.

After only a year old? I must have injured her then?

Not necessarily ...lots of things could have caused her to lose a bit of her leg ..
So I just let nature take its course and leave the hive alone for 2-3 weeks? Perhaps I can donate a frame of capped brood from my other hive to keep them strong?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yes, and it will also act as a test frame to confirm if she is away or not. Mind there are some young larvae on it for it to work for you.

PH

Yes, and it will also act as a test frame to confirm if she is away or not. Mind there are some young larvae on it for it to work for you.

PH
I'll do it later today and then close up. Should I investigate midweek to see what's what? Cheers

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

No I didn't see eggs either. Capped brood and larvae.

Back