Propolised Brood Box

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugmitch

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I was ‘gifted’ a nucleus early last year which I housed in a National and it produced a good crop. At the regular inspections I noticed that there was significant propolis being generated and I thought It hope this doesn’t get any worse’!
Well, here we are in the Spring build up and it’s a nightmare. On the first inspection in March I just about got the frames out; now I can’t even budge them!
I was thinking of putting on another brood box and hoping the Queen will migrate up. Then to get rid ASAP.
Ideas please?

Some strains of bee use more propolis some locations produce more I’ve found bees around pine plantations always find more. If your bb is off on the dimensions then they can glue frames down more readily, not having any idea how bad it is it’s hard to say it could be normal! If it’s annoying you then as you say add another brood on top get the queen up and slide an excluder between. Your queen may well require 2 broods anyway.

when you start an inspection, take the first frame out then use a hive tool to scrape off the propolis in the channels and lugs, as you shift the frames along do that in each space.

If hive has too much ventilation = hive too cold, bees try to reduce ventilation, and they put propolis here and there.

when you start an inspection, take the first frame out then use a hive tool to scrape off the propolis in the channels and lugs, as you shift the frames along do that in each space.

Two of mine propolise for England ! I find that the dummy board in the hive means you can usually get that one out with a J hive tool and a bit of levering. After that as JBM says - lever the next frame sideways to break the seal and lift out - scrape the channels and runners as you go. They will still propolise if they want to ...

As an aside: They do fill any slight gaps around the crown board and stick it down ... tells you what the bees like in the way of air flow up through the hive ... NOTHING !

I was ‘gifted’ a nucleus early last year which I housed in a National and it produced a good crop. At the regular inspections I noticed that there was significant propolis being generated and I thought It hope this doesn’t get any worse’!
Well, here we are in the Spring build up and it’s a nightmare. On the first inspection in March I just about got the frames out; now I can’t even budge them!
I was thinking of putting on another brood box and hoping the Queen will migrate up. Then to get rid ASAP.
Ideas please?
It could be a blessing, there's a lot of work going on in the US ( Marla Spivak in particular ) regarding Propolis and AFB. Lots of info on the net, Google "Propolis and foul brood"

Looks like I may have to sacrifice the first frame in order to ease out the rest. I’ll try that first before adding a brood box. They are a very docile and a real pleasure to handle.....so putting up with the propolis is probably a small mercy.
Thanks for the advice all, appreciated.

Maybe you should consider harvesting it, propolis has value and its not that hard to do or to 'clean' the scrappings.

Looks like I may have to sacrifice the first frame in order to ease out the rest. I’ll try that first before adding a brood box. They are a very docile and a real pleasure to handle.....so putting up with the propolis is probably a small mercy.
Thanks for the advice all, appreciated.
Not sure how many frames you have but I add a dummy board in the BB to replace the end frame just to help with the spacing.

Latest posts

Back