Professional Electricians - Pah!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaleoPerson

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Fed up with so called professional electricians.

I was a service engineer for 12 years working on 110/240/3 phase equipment, so I feel comfortable around cables although not up to date with current regs.

In the last house I owned, I rewired from top to bottom. Certificated by the local electricity board who were going to fail it due to me missing an earth insulation off one light switch, but managed to persuade him to check the others whilst I quickly put one on. He then wired up the meter reverse polarity which caused a fire in the kitchen when the gas hob's electronic igniter blew it brains out taking out the gas pipe and setting it alight - one expensive insurance claim to replace a three week old kitchen.

This weekend, I took out a dividing wall and two ceilings in an extension, the wall had two mains sockets and two light switches in it and there were two ceiling lights. No problem.

In the course of sorting out the electrics, I discovered the following:-

The whole extension was run off a single 32a spur
The lighting circuit was run directly from the 32a mains spur - un-fused.
The light switches had the cables running from switch to floor and into screed and then up a totally different wall to the ceiling ????
The power sockets had the cables running from sockets to ceiling.
In another part of the house, I found a section of mains ring that was jointed in the wall cavity by twisting the wires together and insulated with masking tape.

so much for 17th Edition then...................British Gas joined 2 rings when they wired in boiler.
Now that was Con~ Fuseing!!
( sued for 5K and won)

British gas removed a package burner from a salt bath and left the job just cocked off no plug in the open pipe or warming label .As plant engineer I was waiting for their return with eager anticipation . After I'd finished with them, there was a strong smell , no, it wasn't gas :D.

John Wilkinson

I had an electrician fit one of those 16 amp blue sockets in my workshop to use with my welder. I went to have a look at it after he'd finished the job and he'd fitted a Male socket to the wall at face height with the pin permanently live.

It happens on boats to. Had a marine electrician fit a battery management system to my boat and left the old live cable from the alternator nicely tucked away out of sight and when on my way down the cut this cable moved from its hiding place and bounced all over the engine with sparks like a firework display. If this was bad enough the cable hit the spill rail blew a hole in it a fine mist of diesel from the pipe and set alight

Back