Productivity vs aggression

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only correlation is defensive bees tend to hold onto their honey better. Productivity depend on the local environment.
Not quite, a lot of it is also to do with the bees and selection. You will often find hives of equal strength in the same apiary collecting different amounts of honey. This year for example I had 1 hive on demaree which didn't swarm, so full strength, not even filling 2 supers during the main flow while others were doing 4-5.
All flyers within the same apiary will have access to the same forage within their range. Therefore one can assume that it's down to the bees either being poor gatherers or consuming far more than a beekeeper want them to for a harvest.

I would have offered to return the original hives, pick up only.
Not possible as on advice from bee inspector most have been euthanized, the remaining will have the same treatment next week.

Not possible as on advice from bee inspector most have been euthanized, the remaining will have the same treatment next week.
I should have put a smile emoji after, indicating sarcasm. I am sorry that you had this type of hive to handle, aggressive bees are not easy to deal with.

Latest posts

Back