Problems in Manuka honey industry

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beekeepers have started painting their hives in distinctive colours and printing unique numbers on them, but these efforts are cosmetic and have proven close to useless.
We could have told them that!

This is crap ... " Although Maori people had used manuka honey as a wound dressing for years, "

the apiculture industry was wary of the product, as it was tricky to work with, ... haha, yeah, ... what they won't tell you is that the friggin rubbish has a very limited shelf life,

" On the back of the boom, hive thefts, vandalism and poisonings have become standard fare, with every beekeeper interviewed for this article the victim of one or more serious crimes. Verbal threats and physical beatings have also been reported and there are unconfirmed reports that beekeepers now travel in packs for protection to work remote hives. " more hahaha, pack of pussyes... plenty of ways to stop them EVER coming back

Most of this is manipulated propaganda, there is a large Co in NZ that is trying to turn the manooka honey industry into a single seller desk, ( aka Zespri ... with kiwifruit ) IE : that Co would have total control over the export of manooka honey. Therefore, anything they can do, to show the guberment, that the industry needs tight control, from beekeeper to bottle, just gotta be good for their cunning strategy. gripes ! can you imagine the $'s they could make ?

"Most of this is manipulated propaganda, there is a large Co in NZ that is trying to turn the manooka honey industry into a single seller desk, ( aka Zespri ... with kiwifruit ) IE : that Co would have total control over the export of manooka honey. Therefore, anything they can do, to show the guberment, that the industry needs tight control, from beekeeper to bottle, just gotta be good for their cunning strategy. gripes ! can you imagine the $'s they could make "

Well ... that's an interesting perspective from someone who lives there - we have long suspected that there was a clever marketing plan to drive the price up but I had no idea what was really going on and I suspect most people don't ...good post.

I have been asked by customers if I have any local manuka honey.
I suggest that they purchase some Marmite and put that on their breakfast toast.... some even see the funny side or even the stupidity of their question...

Particularly as I am not known for witty comments!

Yeghes da

I have been asked by customers if I have any local manuka honey.
I suggest that they purchase some Marmite and put that on their breakfast toast.... some even see the funny side or even the stupidity of their question...

Particularly as I am not known for witty comments!

Yeghes da

Or more appropriately Germolene ! If you are older than 50 or so and have ever tasted Manukshit Honey then you will recognise the taste from your childhood ...

Sadly -

"Originally a thick antiseptic ointment with a distinctive pink colour and scented with oil of wintergreen ..... The thick pink Germolene ointment was confirmed by Bayer as no longer being available in July 2014." - Probably more effective than Manuka I would suggest ...

Or more appropriately Germolene ! If you are older than 50 or so and have ever tasted Manukshit Honey then you will recognise the taste from your childhood ...

Not quite 50 yet - but it's the alternative I usually suggest - a lot tastier on your toast and may be some use on suppurating sores as well!!

"Most of this is manipulated propaganda, there is a large Co in NZ that is trying to turn the manooka honey industry into a single seller desk, ( aka Zespri ... with kiwifruit ) IE : that Co would have total control over the export of manooka honey. Therefore, anything they can do, to show the guberment, that the industry needs tight control, from beekeeper to bottle, just gotta be good for their cunning strategy. gripes ! can you imagine the $'s they could make "

Well ... that's an interesting perspective from someone who lives there - we have long suspected that there was a clever marketing plan to drive the price up but I had no idea what was really going on and I suspect most people don't ...good post.

Yep, they say all good things come to an end, unfortunately this ain't a good thing. So I guess it's gunna come to a sticky end a bit more quickly. And when it does, it'll taint all our good honeys, which may end up being worthless in overseas markets. Wonder who makes Marmite and Germolene, might be an idea to buy some shares

aka Zespri ... with kiwifruit

I thought comvita were the biggest player?
I'd understood that it was they along with the ministry of agriculture who nailed down the whole umf thing.

I thought comvita were the biggest player?
I'd understood that it was they along with the ministry of agriculture who nailed down the whole umf thing.

Comvita Manuka 15+ 250g £50.00 in H&B I wouldn't want to pay that price

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back