probiotics for honey bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helmb1360

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi I've been making probiotics for sometime and i wondering if anyone feeds lactobacillus bacteria to honey bees as it would have many benefits. Thanks

Well said Anduril, i was just wondering if i could add it to syrup in autumn and spring feeds

Thanks for that. Interesting article
Day old bees kept under lab conditions fed sucrose only as a control?
What I wonder do day old bees get fed in the hive? Might they not acquire probiotics naturally any way?
Then at the end it says

5. Conclusion​

The studies presented in this paper indicate that tested lactic acid bacteria, isolated from intestinal tract of honey bees, have a great probiotic potential for using them as A. mellifera food supplements

The lactic acid bacteria were there in the bee gut anyway.
Seems a little redundant to be feeding something that’s there already.

The lacto acid is a good bacteria and it eats bad ones, so its supporting there immunesystem. Treating your bees like athletes well help them work like athletes producing more honey and living for longer. I think anyway

Thanks for that. Interesting article
Day old bees kept under lab conditions fed sucrose only as a control?
What I wonder do day old bees get fed in the hive? Might they not acquire probiotics naturally any way?
Then at the end it says

5. Conclusion​

The studies presented in this paper indicate that tested lactic acid bacteria, isolated from intestinal tract of honey bees, have a great probiotic potential for using them as A. mellifera food supplements

The lactic acid bacteria were there in the bee gut anyway.
Seems a little redundant to be feeding something that’s there already.
Produced by the breakdown of lactose in the bee guts

Currently about to be working on a project considering this concept. Think there's quite a bit of work on bee gut microbiome already.

Bear in mind that the evidence for use of probiotics in other species suggests there's no long term change in gut microbiome even if there is a short term effect. I would suspect it's likely similar for bees.

In practice I only tend to prescribe probiotics for short term effect when there's a problem.

My sole garden colony is on course for a 200lb + crop for this year, not sure they need more health or help options. Imho they know exactly what works.

If we are just talking about lactobacillus, which by the way is just a very small part of the story, then yes it's beneficial.
A lactic acid fermentation is what preserves bee bread.... you know the stuff bees eat !

There is quite a bit of research now showing the benefits of probiotics in bee health, not least of which is confering some protections against or at least resilience against some pesticides.

There is quite a bit of research now showing the benefits of probiotics in bee health, not least of which is confering some protections against or at least resilience against some pesticides.
Considering what we do to bees as beekeepers that actually makes a lot of sense.
We take away their natural habitat and remove much of the diversity of forage

Latest posts

Back