Printing own jar labels at home TIPS

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grif

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I would like to design and produce my own jar labels.
I have tried printing some test labels from my computer via an old Epson colour inkjet printer. I am using a free bit of software for the design called Avery Designpro 5. The plain white sticky labels I have used are from a company called aa labels and are made from polyethylene and are meant to be permanent and waterproof. Things have not gone well, so far. The resulting print is not waterresistant and smudges easily. I have tried coating the labels with an aerosol spray which does make them smudge proof waterproof, but this is a bit of a faff and expensive. Also, the colour is a bit drab, not as vibrant as I would like.
I am wondering if a laser printer would produce better results, more vibrant and waterproof ?
Or go to a local printer and get some screen printed?
Any tips would be most welcome.
:thanks:

I would like to design and produce my own jar labels.
I have tried printing some test labels from my computer via an old Epson colour inkjet printer. I am using a free bit of software for the design called Avery Designpro 5. The plain white sticky labels I have used are from a company called aa labels and are made from polyethylene and are meant to be permanent and waterproof. Things have not gone well, so far. The resulting print is not waterresistant and smudges easily. I have tried coating the labels with an aerosol spray which does make them smudge proof waterproof, but this is a bit of a faff and expensive. Also, the colour is a bit drab, not as vibrant as I would like.
I am wondering if a laser printer would produce better results, more vibrant and waterproof ?
Or go to a local printer and get some screen printed?
Any tips would be most welcome.
:thanks:

By the time you have paid for the inks and paper, fàffed about etc you might as well get the job done professionally to your artwork.

Don't. Not sure it's worth the bother. A professional print set up is the way to go but it's much cheaper to buy one of the customisable sets from a beekeeping supplier and you also know/hope they'll be legal.

Yes. Those waterproof polyethylene labels can only be printed on by a lazer printer. It says so on the packaging.
Its nigh on impossible to get waterproof labels using an inkjet printer. There are sprays you can use to waterproof them aftre printing such as Ghiant Inkjet fixative spray. But it stinks to high heaven and takes days for the smell to go away.

Although I print my own labels and am quite proud about it I have the use of a colour laser printer (at work).

I applaud anyone who bothers to design their own label, be it to print themselves or get printed for them.

What I personally hate to see is rows of honey jars all looking the same, with the same labels (big T's for example) but from different beekeepers, on a tasting / for sale bench during a show! Same for the commercial class in a honey show!

Still each to their own I suppose.

I use an inkjet printer, and Avery labels, using their (free) templates to sort out the print layout. Once the ink is properly dry, and the labels have been on the jar for a while, I think they comply with the 'waterproof' rules. Some of my customers return their jars, which I use for myself, but getting the labels off is a real pain - and the label is still legible after soaking in water for ages!

The requirements regarding font sizes and mandated text are not difficult to implement.

Last edited:
I made my own, printed on clear poly labels.

I like making my own. They are not waterproof but......
I use avery labels and their printing size guide. Never had a problem. Easy to change best before dates without having loads left over. And they are unique!
E

We went the Avery and AA labels route BUT did invest in a colour laser printer. One of our customers does the 'Farmer's Market' in Okehampton and the labels have to be damp / waterproof, as anyone whose holidayed in Oke. knows to their cost. Going our own design route allows us to put a piccy of Dartmoor taken from the apiary on the jar, and suck in some of the grockles pennies. We also use peelable labels, it's only the tamperproof label that sticks like s. to a b. which what it is designed to do.

I have a colour laser printer that cost me £100 new and delivered from eBuyer.
It has really cheap compatible consumables available (check eBay).

It wasn't bought specifically for doing labels, but it was recognised that it would come in useful for this, as the printing doesn't smudge or smear.
Unlike an inkjet, the printer cartridges don't dry out if it isn't used for a few days.

Apart from a smallish input paper tray (150 sheets), I think it is a brilliant little printer. "Bargin" as they say on eBay.
It does my labels very nicely, printed and (if I want) customised one sheet at a time. I use the (obsolete) free Avery DesignPro for Mac software and labels from Staples.

Unfortunately, it isn't currently on quite the same offer. Its up at £110 today ...
http://www.ebuyer.com/433141-dell-c1760nw-wireless-colour-laser-printer-210-41094

I have a colour laser printer that cost me £100 new and delivered from eBuyer.
It has really cheap compatible consumables available (check eBay).

It wasn't bought specifically for doing labels, but it was recognised that it would come in useful for this, as the printing doesn't smudge or smear.
Unlike an inkjet, the printer cartridges don't dry out if it isn't used for a few days.

Apart from a smallish input paper tray (150 sheets), I think it is a brilliant little printer. "Bargin" as they say on eBay.
It does my labels very nicely, printed and (if I want) customised one sheet at a time. I use the (obsolete) free Avery DesignPro for Mac software and labels from Staples.

Unfortunately, it isn't currently on quite the same offer. Its up at £110 today ...
http://www.ebuyer.com/433141-dell-c1760nw-wireless-colour-laser-printer-210-41094
:iagree: and womens hairspray should waterproof inkjet lables.

Latest posts

Back