Pride before the fall!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have lost me there oliver... posts 5,8,10 and 11 all suggest a return . Post number 16 was mine so you have completely confused me. I suggest we both take an early night.
Regards
Pete.

It's always a good idea to place the frame in a box and then if anything does fall off you will see it when you put the frame back.

Lesson learned, these things happen.

Cazza

If you haven't got a box handy, shake the bees off the frame so you can check it really thoroughly before putting it down. I'm always very careful, ever since losing my first queen in a similar fashion! :(

You have lost me there oliver... posts 5,8,10 and 11 all suggest a return .

So did I, but not after a week.

Let's get this straight. Nobody has suggested the queen has returned after being away for a week.

THEY FOUND SHE HAD RETURNED SOMETIME BEFORE THE NEXT TIME THEY INSPECTED.

That would have been the same day as she had gone AWOL!

Please read up on how the queen is fed and nurtured by workers. Read up on how a queen is always sent by post with attendant workers.

Now, I suggest you go back and read those posts properly and stop trying to make other new beeks think that this ever happens. It does not.

I don't need an early night and I don't need reading lessons!

Yep, she'd have to return soon after absconding or she'd be lost.
I once had a queen take flight when I opened a box. I had to stand there like a wally in my gear for an hour before she came back.

Thanks Erichalfbee. It is a shame that some othersw don't chip in.

At least we now have two who are standing up and being counted!

This mis-information/misreading is truly alarming. New beeks can so easily be misled so how can they learn the truth if they keep reading garbage like this (that queens can return to the hive a week after leaving)?

Sometimes I have to agree with Finman that two hive owners are a danger to other beeks. I see the OP has been on at least a couple times this am but has not yet had the courage to respond.

..... but has not yet had the courage to respond.[/QUOTE said:
Oliver,
I do not lack courage!

I posted originally to highlight my failing as a warning to other new beekeepers.
What I have received from the majority on this forum is encouragement and advice which has been most welcome.

I chose not to respond to your acrimony and pedantic approach, as I did not wish to get into a slanging match with you.

You have made your point now please let it lie.

As for your comment about two hive owners - are you suggesting that us new to the hobby start with more - say five plus? only to find that the hobby does not suit.....I don't think so!

P.

are you suggesting that us new to the hobby start with more

No. Certainly not. What I am suggesting is that some need to read threads properly, not 'contaminate' other new beeks with mis-information through a sheer lack of knowledge and poor practice, etc - in fact, just like Finman says 'two hive owners know best'.

Most two hive owners are, I am sure, willing to read and learn from the forum. That cannot happen optimally if some of the posting is drivel.

I do hope I have made my point and that you now accept that your reading was in error and your comments/claims totally unfounded. I do hope that new beeks read this thread carefully and don't go away thinking what you did. These misconceptions can continue for years and be spread around, to eagerly listening beeks who then perpertuate the spread of the mis-information to another unwitting generation of new beeks. I see it on the forum so, so often.

Thanks Erichalfbee. It is a shame that some othersw don't chip in.

At least we now have two who are standing up and being counted!

This mis-information/misreading is truly alarming. New beeks can so easily be misled so how can they learn the truth if they keep reading garbage like this (that queens can return to the hive a week after leaving)?

Sometimes I have to agree with Finman that two hive owners are a danger to other beeks. I see the OP has been on at least a couple times this am but has not yet had the courage to respond.

Hi Oliver,
I will chip in and I will stand up and be counted. You are absolutely right, but do you have to put your point in such a confrontational and unpleasant way! You have obviously forgotten what it is like to be a newbie and the beek would be just as upset as the workers for losing the queen. It is more difficult for people to write concisely and put a point across correctly on a forum than it is to talk things over. Yes, it leads to misunderstandings and I am guilty of that myself both as a writer and interpreter and I hope I have learned. You could have started your explantation... to avoid any misunderstandings I would like to clarify the point raised ... If you were a school teacher all the kids would be running to the headmaster complaining that you undermine their confidence and ruin their zest for learning. You have a lot to give to this forum, but please change your writing style. Well, that's a challenge!

Can we all calm down now please! As one who took offence to a perfectly nonconfrontational comment yesterday and flounced off in a huff, I know how easy it can be to be offended by the written word when one makes an implication which wasn't intended.

The learning points are:
1. a queen will not return after a week and no one really implied that it will.
2. When you take a frame out, either check it carefully first, put it in a box or check the ground afterwards.
3. Take a queen clip, plunger, matchbox with you so you can catch her if required.

There, I feel better now.
Cazza

Beeno,

If you were a school teacher all the kids would be running to the headmaster complaining

Exactly the opposite! The learners (not baby goats!!) would grasp more if they were to discuss the matter and think about all the alternatives, etc. I gave more than adequate opportunity for re-appraisal of the thread by the OP. Who was it that said I had not read the thread in entirety (or properly)?

I did not chip into the discussion until post #17 when it was clear that there was obvious incorrect 'goings on', and gave the opportunity for the OP to answer my question. It was he who then tried to rebuff/attacked me, by telling me something that was apparently 'obvious' to him but not at all true; it should have been clear to anyone who had actually read and understood the postings.

So don't just go blaming me. I was on my own for half a dozen posts - those that gave the wrong impressions in their posts (not really their fault, mind) were either long-gone or kept their heads down for one reason or another.

The style is to get beeks thinking (and reading properly) for themselves. There is no point in reading a book for information if you are not reading it properly. The books are there to be read, not to be ignored or interpreted in other ways than as the text was written.

That is one big failing at exam time in schools - the sudents don't actually read the questions (properly). Seen it sooo many times and there is no leeway at all in multiple guess answer papers.

RAB

Not wanting to be confrontational, just looking for information:

does anyone have any information on how long a queen can survive without her attendants?

I have no idea, but a laying queen is fed an awful lot of food by her attendants and a laying queen which flies off would not be able to turn off her egg-laying mode in a flash. Clearly an hour (see post #27), but I doubt she would survive overnight at the present time.

But you may be meaning in an incubator after just emerging - a bit different ball game and others will have experience of that.

Clearly not long enough to reliably send through the postal system.

Not an answer, but maybe it helps a little. A bit of a hypothetical question if she is lost from a colony; she will either return in fairly short time or be lost - and how long she survives without attention is unimportant in that scenario.

Hi Oliver,
You may have read all the books, done all the courses, know all the theory, but applying your knowledge in a real life situation is a different ball game altogether. It's a skill in itself. The kids can't answer the question very often because they don't understand it! Also, some people find it easier to learn from doing and I think we should bear that in mind on the forum.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments Beano - am considering pm,ing Rab.But leopards and spots spring to Mind
Agree with cazza,s post totally.
Regards
Pete.

Last edited:
! Also, some people find it easier to learn from doing and I think we should bear that in mind on the forum.

Learning from doing is ok but its the bees that suffer whilst the learner is making their mistakes. Dont get me wrong, no one is perfect and we all made mistakes, just don't expect that there are no consequences to actions. A wise beekeeper once said to me don't get disheartened, just get better!

Hi Easy Beesy,
I would say that all newbies are on this forum to become better beeks, so let them not be disheartened by some forum members' comments. Dispatching queens is quite a final consequnce for the bee that is and losing a nuc costs the beek up to £240 that's another consequence. Experienced beeks make mistakes all the time even if you don't anymore. However, I feel sure that is not what you meant to say though. The great majority of people do some reading before they take up bee keeping. However, it is a complex subject if you want to do it properly and not easy to assimilate all the information on a quick course! Has the forum got a 'mission statement'?

Hi Easy Beesy,
Experienced beeks make mistakes all the time even if you don't anymore.

I know I do. My most recent dim mistake was only last week which was to plan to replace a stores frame with an empty one only to find that when I closed up the hive I had replaced the original frame with.... the original frame. Now that is dim.
Cazza

I have had Virgin queens in an incubator with food and water for a week, due to not having any where else for them to go... no mini nucs made up due to work commitments!

have solved one problem... gave up work!

Beano,

Let me respond to your post: Hi Oliver,
You may have read all the books, done all the courses, know all the theory, but applying your knowledge in a real life situation is a different ball game altogether. It's a skill in itself. The kids can't answer the question very often because they don't understand it! Also, some people find it easier to learn from doing and I think we should bear that in mind on the forum.

Look at this thread progression.

Queen AWOL on the 23rd.

Forum members answered the question of her likely return, but seemingly did not spell out the time frame for that return. Nobody whatsoever said the queen returned after a week on the tiles.

At post #16 it is likely that the poster has been told by others (not the forum replies) that the queen may well return a week after going on fly-about.

Post 17. I offered the opportunity of finding these 'so-called sources of information' after posting the bare simple facts - she would have returned long ago or was lost. This was late on the 26th.

His response was not particularly polite - informing me that I had obviously not read the thread.

To be honest, it mattered not a jot whether I had read the thread stream or not. My advice was the simple facts of the situation.

Secondly, the poster simply ignored my post #16 advice and glibly carried on spouting about the queen's return after a week.

Fair enough, if they want to ignore my advice that is their choice and I could not care a jot if they choose to do so - it is usually their loss, not mine; however to continue to advance the completely wrong information (that others would read, lap up, remember and further spread the mis-information) is reprehensible. It would be downright dishonest for me to let that happen.

NOW, if the OP had come back at post #18 and had not been so belligerent (like a reply to my question would have been good), my next progressive response would have been to point out the error in his reading skills (possibly quite politely) but after that very negative response to my post, I simply made it very clear what the situation was, regarding the queen and reinforced that with a few very basic learning points.

In fact my response at post #19 was quite restrained; I simply stated that I had read the posts and suggested directly that he should do that, too.

Post #20 was my reponse to the clear ignorance of my post #17. It was worded to demonstrate to all new beeks, lapping up this mis-information, that there was something seriously amiss here - had anyone done as the post indicated, they would have learned the truth instead of the plain mis-truths being inferred. I also explained how I had improved the wording of my earlier post to put much more emphasis on the short time scale.

Now at post #20, the OP changes tack and now speaks of the queen returning, not the time scale - a subtle trick to change the emphasis of the argument which makes it appear that I suggested she would not return from the AWOL flight?

Post #23 was a robust response to that, reinforcing the true facts and showing justification which could so easily be (and should have been) found in the texts over a three year period or more.

By this time, yes, I was getting a little hissed off by the attitude of the OP - not reading, accusing me of not reading and not knowing, ignoring my post, not bothering to think about the situation, not bothering to post again (even though having been on the forum prior to my post of close to 11:00h).

Further posts have, I hope described the abysmal dissemination of rubbish information on the forum.

New beeks should not even read this sort of rubbish about queens returning after a week or more. Overall, a thoroughly useless end to a thread which simply started out as a goof by a third season(?) beek.

However, the new beeks should, by now fully understand that this just does not happen. Queens do not return after more than a week. At least some may have learned something, even if the OP has not.

Perhaps the OP needs to change his spots, or maybe get (and use) a good pair of reading spectacles, because he started all this.

Baby goats don't just need bottle feeding with isolated facts, they need to be able to work out what is happening and why. They need to build on what they already know.

Beekeeping is actually simple. It may appear complicated to new beeks because the learning curve happens to be so steep (people just jump in at the deep end). The complicated bits are the add-ons which can come later, as experience increases.

Try me with a basic newbie problem and there will be a simple solution (probably several options, actually) - I can assure you of that. Most topics are complicated by responses which appear dogmatic, or have no basis for belief. (read that sentence very carefully - it has been worded that way very specifically)

Try it and see for yourself. In fact if you would like to post a string of questions, I would answer them with simple alternatives (some would be better and not quite as basic and some may not be appropriate to all situations).

At this point, I will rest my case.

RAB

Latest posts

Back