Price

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Show me the honey

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
just can't decide on a price for 12 or 1lb jars of honey :hairpull: it's my first lot so probably why, but sure you lot know what I mean! don't want to go too high or too low :) (I can't seem to decide what it's worth)

Not really asking for price advise just letting you know what I'm thinking
:icon_204-2:
In other news how beautiful is this!

Attachments

• IMG_1481.JPG
    IMG_1481.JPG
    291.9 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
If you're high and it doesn't sell you can always come down, but if you start too low it is then harder to raise prices and keep customers.

I get £4.50 for 12oz in Hexagonal jars with a nice label and £3.50 for 8oz ... it's worth a bit more than I get for it but there's a lot of local beekeepers prepared to sell 12oz for £4 so I'm competing with them not the local farm shops who are nearer £7 for 12oz !!

We get £4.80 for 1/2 lb (227g)hex... of the very best medal winning Cornish Black Bee honey

Do the maths and selling at £5 for a 1lb pot of even the worst of honey is not sustainable!... when you take into account the cost of jars lids approved professional labels, anti tamper tabs... lab analyses.... marketing.. plus the devaluation on bottling machines and extractors... filling in tax and VAT returns... motor repairs.. loo rolls....
endless costs.
Think I will go back to selling pencil sharpeners!

Yeghes da

But you wouldnt sell in the deepest shire of york
£7 for 12oz here in wales today

Last edited:
There was a discussion about this some where a while ago and the best answer I though someone gave was this.

Traditionally 1lb jar of honey was the same price as 1 hours wages.

Around here I struggle to sell for more than £5 per lb as there are shops selling beefarmers honey for £4.75.

Some on the farmers markets around here sell for under £4 per lb.
I know at least one of those traders pays around £2.50 per lb in jars from a beekeeper as they asked me to sell it to them at that price and I laughed at them. They use their own labels.
This person has different labels for different markets so the honey looks local where ever they go.

It depends how affluent your area is really as to how much you will get.

I thought honey was £6 per lb ?

We sell 12oz jars for £4.50 no problem, soft set/runny/chunk/cut comb all the same

Im hoping to be selling a one off type of honey found no where else in the uk, im looking at about £10 to £15 pounds a 8oz jar from special bee only produced here by me , ill let you know how it goes next year if I get a crop, still a trial at the moment for a niche market.

We get £4.80 for 1/2 lb (227g)hex... of the very best medal winning Cornish Black Bee honey

Do the maths and selling at £5 for a 1lb pot of even the worst of honey is not sustainable!... when you take into account the cost of jars lids approved professional labels, anti tamper tabs... lab analyses.... marketing.. plus the devaluation on bottling machines and extractors... filling in tax and VAT returns... motor repairs.. loo rolls....
endless costs.
Think I will go back to selling pencil sharpeners!

Yeghes da

Mad in it £5.00 per lb (16oz) where as some folk get £5.00/ £4.50 for 12oz.

I sell 12oz jars for £6 and 8oz for £4. Sold most of my harvest last year (just over 100lbs) with out problem. Harvested 35lbs so far this year and most of that has been sold.
Local market stall sells another bee keepers honey at £7 for the 12oz jars.

Where in wales was the £7 for 12oz?. I have an outlet that sells most of mine @ £6.80.

I was on the NBKA stand at the Royal Norfolk Show, and we were selling members' honey at £6 for a 1 lb jar. There was a £1 premium that went straight to the association, leaving £5 for the beekeeper.

The show itself is pretty commercial, but most people were happy to pay the £6 once we talked through with them how local honey is different than most of what is available in the supermarkets. Several people asked about having honey from specific areas, to try to get some pollen local to them (to help with hayfever), and a lot of people appreciated the explanation about the difference between set and liquid honey, oilseed rape versus multifloral honey, etc.

Some people have regular customers, who buy in bulk and get a discount, and some accept returned jars for a discount too. Most said that £5 per 1 lb jar is what they would normally charge.

Yeh ... the Yorkshire tourists will only pay those prices when they are on holiday in Cornwall !!!

:winner1st::winner1st::winner1st::winner1st::winner1st::winner1st:

Come on down!... the Sun is out the water is clean... and the jam is ready for the scones ( Jam first ... remember Cornwall theCream on top!
The A30 bottleneck has been dualled at Temple and the five years of roadworks and speed limits have all gone but avoid Bodmin as roads are still in a terribly confused muddle.... I think that is where the 1000's for traffic cones must have gone!!
Turn left at Launceston for the greatgreygreengreasrTAMARVALLEYallsetaboutwithnativeCornishblackbees!

( well that's the Lynher valley ... but we want that ANOB beauty for ourselves!!!)

Yeghes da

If you're high and it doesn't sell you can always come down, but if you start too low it is then harder to raise prices and keep customers.

This was my philosophy when I had my first saleable harvest last year - 50lbs. I sell in 8oz jars for £5 retail and £4 wholesale to one outlet who sells for £5 (and £4 to friends and family after an initial gift of a jar immediately after the harvest). I sold the last jar of last year's honey 3 weeks ago so I think the pricing is just about right.

Very little of the honey goes to tourists - it's mostly locals who appreciate the story told on the label.

CVB

This was my philosophy when I had my first saleable harvest last year - 50lbs. I sell in 8oz jars for £5 retail and £4 wholesale to one outlet who sells for £5 (and £4 to friends and family after an initial gift of a jar immediately after the harvest). I sold the last jar of last year's honey 3 weeks ago so I think the pricing is just about right.

Very little of the honey goes to tourists - it's mostly locals who appreciate the story told on the label.

CVB

Any chance of a look at your label?

SO

how can I make it clear to the majority of posters on here....

YOU'RE SELLING YOUR HONEY TOO CHEAPLY AND UNDERVALUING IT AND UNDERMINING THE BEEFARMERS

There.

Said it.

Ok. it was in shouty capitals but everyone needs to wake up and smell the coffee.

Think of it this way

1. Hives - new or second hand cost money
2. Ditto frames
3. Ditto Foundation
4. Then there's the twice yearly medication for varroa
5. Then there's the tools and suit
6. And your smoker
7. And fuel to get to your apiary if it's away from home
8. And there's the bees - if you're lucky its a swarm, otherwise a nuc or a colony
9. And then there's all the extracting kit
10. And that box of stuff you bought in the Thornes sale, but never used....

So if you're lucky to get 50lb from your colony, and you only want it to be a hobby, perhaps you'll give the lot away to family and friends for presents, and eat the rest yourself.

However, most of us want a 2nd hive, and they cost money folks......

SO GET AS MUCH AS YOU CAN FOR YOUR HONEY

ITS THE BEST IN THE WORLD. BUY BRITISH. SUPPORT THE BRITISH BEE INDUSTRY

This season my RRP for outlets is £7.95 a 1 lb jar. Next season it'll be £8.50

In Borough Market in London they can get up to £20 a lb for ordinary British Honey !!

PLEASE don't undersell or undervalue the product. I'd rather you give it away than charge ridiculously low prices. It's not a race to the bottom people !!!

KR

Somerford

Latest posts

Back