price of national supers....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go to one of the many up coming shows they tend to have stuff at knockdown prices.

If your supplier is Paul O'Sullivan then the supers are made of soft wood but they are good. Bought two last year plus one of his National BBs and they went together well. Also bought a pile of shallow manley frames from him recently.

Was off work yesterday so spent part of the day cutting wood (red deal shelving) to size and routing out frame rebates and simple box joints; I now have a pile of timber for 7 supers and I have two more supers already glued and screwed together.

yea teemore its your man paul from down south that i was looking at,i bought a full hive of your women jo toolan from near hillsbrough last year and thought it was very well built,do you know her??..what part of the woods are you from again?...was it you on here that said they knew joe thompson,he's coming in with me in the next week or so to look at a site that somebody is letting me put bees on right in the middle of kilkeel so hopefully it'll get joes thumbs up..;o)

I've spoken to Jo Toland in the past and i've seen the hives her husband makes too.

I'm not too far from Portadown - my father and I were talking to Joe at the UBKA conference up at Greenmount - I know Joe through Tom Canning; Tom and I will probably be taking a wee drive one of these nice dry Sundays to visit Joe and his bees.

Paul's stuff is grand at the price. All goes together as it should - nice snug fit and he isn't hard to deal with either! A lot of folk I know buy frames from Paul and he tells me he may start to stock DN5 frames as well as his current offerings.

Simple question gents...pine over cedar...does it last long? Are there any major negatives to be aware of?

All the best,
Sam

gents Blatantly sexist!!bee-smillie

You know it is likely not to last as long unless surface coated properly and regularly.

I prefer cedar broods but a lot of mine are cedar over a cheap softwood eke. No problems yet, after about 8 years.

Supers - stored for the winter, in the main, but still a bit heavier than cedar.

I've just made ten non-cedar deep roofs. Weigh in at 3 1/2 kg, so much lighter than Th*rne shallow roofs. Maybe should have used 9mm ply instead of 6mm for the tops. I am expecting 15 years use from them as a minimum.

So, as far as I am concerned it is only the regular servicing which is the main down-side.

Regards, RAB

For a timber hive I guess i'd have to say that cedar would be best BUT properly treated and looked after, pine will last as long as you want it to. There have been enough posts in the past on this forum to confirm that pine and even shuttering ply hives will last if treated properly. With regards supers, they are really only going to be on the hive for a few months of the year so I have no hesitation about using or making pine/red deal supers.

If you do a search on cedar hives here on the forum you'll pull up a lot more opnions and bits of advice.

Rab...Yes I am undone! I am obviously an occasional unconscious sexist...the very worst type I suspect, responsible for the glass ceiling and a multitude of other sins by my quiet complicity...!

Apologies to all Red blooded females everywhere...:)

Still on the subject of pine and cedar. Very interesting as I have never thought of using other woods myself. I am only 2 yrs old and have been simply a Th ornes child up until this point. Mind you in these tough economic times I may well choose to be a child of the world and look at other materials as needed.

Thanks for the short summary of views,

Sam

Latest posts

Back