Price of honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s the pride we take or should do in making a quality product. Crystal clear, no bubbles or scum in the jar honey, properly presented smooth soft set, attractive label.
I’ve seen some awful stuff, some even in the pages of this forum unfortunately 🥲

I’ve seen some awful stuff, some even in the pages of this forum unfortunately 🥲
You should go to the National Honey show - last time I was there there were quite a few horrendous looking entries, some of the frames of honey were so bad I actually gagged! I did take photographs but unfortunately I lost them when I changed phones.

It’s the pride we take or should do in making a quality product. Crystal clear, no bubbles or scum in the jar honey, properly presented smooth soft set, attractive label.
Yes ... it's vital ... even my one ounce sample jars have a label and the honey looks as good as my full size ones.

Attachments

• Honey.jpg
    Honey.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 113
We have established a good clientele selling honey locally. Newcomers to local honey tend to blink at the price (£6 per 1lb jar) first time. Then they tend to become enthusiastic converts. The flavour is so much better than supermarket stuff at £3/jar (and Manuka at £15) .

I no longer have to promote my honey : my customers do it on Facebook.

Pity yields are down this year due to Spring weather.

At around 250- 350lbs a year, it's a profitable hobby (I have to declare to HMRC)

Well lots of honey sellers around the country that buy honey in 30 pound buckets from their local bee farmers and then bottle it up seem to be okay with doing so.

Wholesale Honey | British & International | Local Honey Man

So long as you have PL insurance in place, and I'm sure you do what can possibly be the problem?
Provenance, if you don't know where the honey's from and how it was produced then a lot can go wrong, contaminants, fermentation, off flavours, elevated hmf and caramelisation( which can occur if honey's over heated, proper honey buffs sniff it from a dozen paces away!)
All of my big customers know me personally and we've built trust in each other over the years, they get quality honey of known provenance at a reasonable price and discretion, I get above market rate and stress free big volume sales.

£8.50 lb at the door...... mind you we are difficult to find out here !

so what price are you guys selling it for these days, everything in the super market has gone up 20% so the same should apply to us

I sell mine from home, at £4 for 8oz and £5.50 for 12oz. Definitely going up next year because I've found the price of jars has gone up for me this year, but since I plan to go up to £4.50 and £6 to keep the maths simple that seemed like too much of an increase for this year.
Might need to offer 12oz jars next year too, as now that this is my second year selling I've got quite a few regular customers who'd probably choose to buy bigger jars.

I still sell at £5 for 12oz. Could sell tons. Easily sell 5 jars a day on average but usually run out in a few weeks!

I'm going to increase the price on 12oz jars this year, held off for over ten years
Same here: I've been at £9/340 for seven years.

If BKAs up and down the country persuaded members to drop the 454 and bottle in 340s the price would go up by 25% without any effort.

Beekeeping resists change resolutely with the result that hobby beekeepers drag down the value for all of us by selling at 1964 prices.

Do you increase prices and risk some stock not selling?
Better to sell slowly at a higher price over a longer period.

especially with the public happily paying bugger all
You will convert them quite easily with the real deal, and if you don't, they're not the customer you want.

£9 for 340g in the Queen of the Suburbs. Could probably get a bit more as there‘s a huge demand for local honey. We’re fortunate that most people who enquire can clearly differentiate between supermarket and local honey. Will increase it a bit next year assuming we get some.

I'm selling mine £6 - £7 (12oz)whole sale and trying to sell it slowly .
Im planing on getting some 8 oz jars and selling for £4 - £5which seems to be the going rate?.
Clients think they could double that price in the big smoke at there studios for there honey.
Im working on profit from the sales, so if the price they get is good its better for me.
I would like to send some of mine to the big smoker to :cool:.
What's Heather honey priced at wholesale?

getting some 8 oz jars and selling for £4 - £5which seems to be the going rate?.
£7/340 = .0205/g, so 227 = £4.65.

Better to work out a target £/g that works pro rata than match the price charged by Mavis down the road.

For example, at .0209 you get £4.75/227 and £7.10/340, and at .0215 £4.88 for 227 and £7.31/340.

I still sell at £5 for 12oz. Could sell tons. Easily sell 5 jars a day on average but usually run out in a few weeks!
Running out is the sin that loses repeat custom, especially to shops.

Met a chap who sold quickly all he could produce through a PYO farm. He was proud of this great achievement when in reality he was undercharging woefully: farm was pushing it out at £3.50/lb retail.

Unless a beekeeper's stock can be increased to extend supply, price must rise to bring the same result by slowing sales.

Bonus is that customers are reminded that local honey is a product of value.

£7/340 = .0205/g, so 227 = £4.65.

Better to work out a target £/g that works pro rata than match the price charged by Mavis down the road.

For example, at .0209 you get £4.75/227 and £7.10/340, and at .0215 £4.88 for 227 and £7.31/340.
Thanks Eric I didn't think of that to late in the eve to do sums like that:)

Back