Prefabricated hives--yes or no?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puck

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
I was wondering which would be better for a first hive: a prefabricated one or one that I will have built from scratch? We do have people who can make them here for about USD$200 which includes everything: a stand, two deeps, two supers, all the way up to the outer cover. Another option I have is what's called a "Beekeeping kit", it comes with a langstroth hive (a prefab), a colony of bees with a queen, a hive tool, and a smoker.

I was wondering which would be better for a first hive: a prefabricated one or one that I will have built from scratch? We do have people who can make them here for about USD$200 which includes everything: a stand, two deeps, two supers, all the way up to the outer cover. Another option I have is what's called a "Beekeeping kit", it comes with a langstroth hive (a prefab), a colony of bees with a queen, a hive tool, and a smoker.
All depends upon the amount of time and money you have... and your skills level!!
Which ever way you do ... good luck!

Yeghes da

Whichever route you choose an essential part of a beginners kit is a good introduction to beekeeping course, with/or a mentor to work alongside, supplemented by a good book. Much more important than the physical kit. If making your own you need to understand the concept of "bee space" . Plans are available. Depends on your skills and pocket. There is much more to beekeeping than putting bees into a box and having an occasional look inside. However it is a very rewarding hobby. Enjoy. Good luck

Last edited:
Langstroth are very easy to make especially if one invests in a good bench saw, a biscuit jointer, a router and a dove tail jig. :)

PH

Latest posts

Back