New to bees with 3 weeks of experience

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grady lambert

New Bee
Reaction score
Hello from Texas. I built 7 Long Langstroth hives and have two with colonies installed. I want to build a Layens hive but I do all of my woodwork in metric and I am trying to find plans with dimensions in metric. It is tiring to have to convert everything from inch fractions and not be certain that it is all going to assemble properly. If anyone has a source of metric plans, please share.

Hello from Texas. I built 7 Long Langstroth hives and have two with colonies installed. I want to build a Layens hive but I do all of my woodwork in metric and I am trying to find plans with dimensions in metric. It is tiring to have to convert everything from inch fractions and not be certain that it is all going to assemble properly. If anyone has a source of metric plans, please share.
The conversion is easy 0.0393701,

Why not buy a tape measure with both imperial and metric scales?

The conversion is easy 0.0393701,

I find that multiplying by 25.4 is easier for converting inches to millimetres :)

I can't find any plans with dimensions in millimetres, so I suspect the OP might have to do the conversion himself, though probably only a few are critical and many others can be "near enough" as long as consistency is maintained.

James

I find that multiplying by 25.4 is easier for converting inches to millimetres :)

I can't find any plans with dimensions in millimetres, so I suspect the OP might have to do the conversion himself, though probably only a few are critical and many others can be "near enough" as long as consistency is maintained.

James
your calculation is quite goodifferent enough ,the formula I gave is the most accurate and probably not needed when working with wood

your calculation is quite goodifferent enough ,the formula I gave is the most accurate and probably not needed when working with wood

I've never seen a figure given more accurately than 25.4mm to the inch and in fact Wikipedia suggests that:

"Standards for the exact length of an inch have varied in the past, but since the adoption of the international yard during the 1950s and 1960s the inch has been based on the metric system and defined as exactly 25.4 mm."

so I'm intrigued to know where your figure originates and why it is different. I use imperial and metric interchangeably (as it seems many others born in the late 1960s do), but I've never heard of any other conversion factor.

James

0.039 370 078 74 is the reciprocal of 25.4 and it is quite long. I always use 25.4 for ease of conversion but I would like to have a drawing that is in metric. If I can manage the time, I'll make a drawing in metric. Just trying to get on with the project as quickly as possible.

My mobile phone has a calculator. Makes 2.54 conversions easily.

I can see how it would be preferable to have a set of dimensions that have already been converted to metric; it's not about laziness or difficulty in conversion.

I'd suggest that the problem is mostly likely to be that rounding errors when converting from metric to imperial will result in parts that don't fit together as well as they should. Drawing up plans in metric from the start should prevent that sort of issue.

James

Latest posts

Back