Powered hive barrow

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
So I am realising that the body is not as fit as it was some 30 years ago. Fact.

So I am pondering some powered assistance. I live close to some wonderful heather moors, and managed moors at that. My problem is when I went to the heather in the past the hives were single brood and now are doubles. Yes I could split them for the move but it's neater to work them as doubles I feel.

Has anyone got a machine that they use on rough ground successfully that is not made from solid gold? As in don't cost the earth?

PH

So I have been thinking. Trailer with sheeve mounted at the front at say 4 feet up above the side. Small winch on the front of the trailer. 2nd sheave same as the first at the rear. Hinged ramp with 2 leg lifting bridle attached to a spreader bar. The reason for the spreader bar is to keep the bridle legs clear of the hive. Say the ramp is three feet then plenty of room for the hive. Hive is sack barrowed to the ramp and deposited. The winch pulls the ramp to horizontal or a little above to enable the hive to be slid off. Unloading is the reverse. Winch on amazon is £56 and fit for 900kg!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/vidaXL-Ele...442290&sprefix=winch+12v+small,aps,191&sr=8-1
I have a meeting tomorrow with the local trailer man and general engineer so will run it past him. I think it will work unless you clever people see something I've missed. Given the hives are going to be some 100 pounds the safety factor is massive.

PH

Maybe have a look at some fishing outlets, I saw a guy the other day loaded up with everything but the sink. Probably more the carp fishing side of things.

There was a big thread on this about a year ago but I can't find it! Help Dani!

Convert a sack truck using a hand winch similar to those to recover boats onto trailer and a little bit of welding.

I am aware of these devices but the cost is prohibitive for 10 colonies. I am hoping to bring in my idea for sub £500. We shall see. Its not getting the hives to the trailer that's the issue, a sack truck is perfect for that, it's the actual lift onto and then off the trailer that is my problem.

PH

What about an apprentice 😂 Seriously though there are plenty of volunteers out there and maybe some that wish to learn beekeeping. Worth a shot, exchange your brain for some brawn

I am aware of these devices but the cost is prohibitive for 10 colonies. I am hoping to bring in my idea for sub £500. We shall see. Its not getting the hives to the trailer that's the issue, a sack truck is perfect for that, it's the actual lift onto and then off the trailer that is my problem.

PH
A homemade version of this sort of thing sounds about right then. Should be easy enough to fabricate for the rear of a trailer.

As long as the trailer has a drop side you would be fine with a sack truck of some type. There’s one already to go on eBay for about £350.00 . Enough £ left to drop one side of your trailer too if needed? They stack boxes well too by the looks of things.

PH
What about about a small swinging jib crane using a pulley block. You could just about do it with a piece of bent scaffold pipe mounted in a socket on the side of the trailer.

PH

Have a look at (ceiling) mobility hoists. H frame. One end on the trailer and one on the ground. Pretty stable and safe. You could probably knock one up fairly easily using bits bought of ebay.

Back