Postage rates

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveS

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi all

I've some spare filtered beeswax that I thought I would look to convert to cash. I've successfully sold honey on eBay in the past and thought I'd try selling the wax but looking at postage rates it only makes sense to sell in bulk. I feel like I must be missing a trick as for example you can buy a 1oz block for £1.18 postage included - anyone have any ideas as to how it is possible to sell such a small item?

Royal mail is 75p 2nd class large letter (small can only be 5mm thick) - just wouldn't make sense to do such small amounts at that price.

Hi all

I've some spare filtered beeswax that I thought I would look to convert to cash. I've successfully sold honey on eBay in the past and thought I'd try selling the wax but looking at postage rates it only makes sense to sell in bulk. I feel like I must be missing a trick as for example you can buy a 1oz block for £1.18 postage included - anyone have any ideas as to how it is possible to sell such a small item?

Royal mail is 75p 2nd class large letter (small can only be 5mm thick) - just wouldn't make sense to do such small amounts at that price.

You can buy 2 x 1oz blocks for £1.69 !! Makes no commercial sense - by the time you have packed it and posted it - excluding any time taken to make the blocks and the value of the wax in the first place - profit virtually nothing ... madness.

You can buy 2 x 1oz blocks for £1.69 !! Makes no commercial sense - by the time you have packed it and posted it - excluding any time taken to make the blocks and the value of the wax in the first place - profit virtually nothing ... madness.

Unless of course it's cut wax

Makes no commercial sense - - profit virtually nothing ... madness.

Bit like beekeeping and selling your honey......mainly profitless and total lunacy :)
I think it's because some people can live with a small profit margin....in the case of these beeswax blocks virtually non-existent.
Now a clever seller would be buying them up and selling them at his local archery club where they can fetch over £3 a block......

Unless of course it's cut wax

Cut with a lowgrade paraffin wax?.... even then the cost of the packet alone would kill any profit... especially if the "Local" post office is a 36 mile round trip as I believe it can be for some in the remote wilderness of Yorkshire say???

Nos da

So how do you get bees to produce completely pure white wax ?

Even my best new cappings come out just a little yellow ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/White-Beeswax-Bars-/272037465571

the commercial white bees wax you see for sale is made that way by bleaching during processing

I like there bit about non processed ! what a load of B****s. there is no way on gods green earth can you get wax that white straight out of the hive in any form of bulk

Last edited:
Hi all

its all based on bulk, send 12000 per year any your down to about 55 pence

the commercial white bees wax you see for sale is made that way by bleaching during processing

I like there bit about non processed ! what a load of B****s. there is no way on gods green earth can you get wax that white straight out of the hive in any form of bulk

Yeh ... I rather figured that there must be some trickery in there - not sure their words would stand the scruting of the ASA ... or even Trading Standards ...

Love the words " organic " when it come to wax it is a tricky word to use.

I wonder how they treat for varoa in there hives, and how distant there hives are from any possible source of chemical contamination from crop spraying etc.

The sellers are situated on an industrial estate just outside Dartmoor National Park. They also sell pollen from SPAIN.

The ad says the wax is "Finest Quality 100% Locally Filtered Pure Beeswax" - so not necessarily locally produced. I suspect some clever marketing at work here - imported wax masquerading as local beeswax.

CVB

The sellers are situated on an industrial estate just outside Dartmoor National Park. They also sell pollen from SPAIN.

The ad says the wax is "Finest Quality 100% Locally Filtered Pure Beeswax" - so not necessarily locally produced. I suspect some clever marketing at work here - imported wax masquerading as local beeswax.

CVB

Bow or Okehampton?

Since there are two fairly large suppliers and would not wish for confusion to occur

Nos da

Not a beekeeping supplier as such...
I have seen the sheets... not for beekeepers I should think
Unwired and misshaped and brittle... the one I was shown had a non beeswax "chemical" aroma and felt " greasy"... ideal for candles!

Cosmetics... have you dared look at the legislation... easier to sell guns!

Nos da

Unwired and misshaped and brittle... the one I was shown had a non beeswax "chemical" aroma and felt " greasy"... ideal for candles!

Nos da

From what I was told by someone on a farmers market recently very few market sellers follow the legislation when producing cosmetics.

:judge:
From what I was told by someone on a farmers market recently very few market sellers follow the legislation when producing cosmetics.

Yes ... I've seen a few people selling honey and wax related skin preps ... I think some of them don't even know there are regulations about these products - they will get a shock if they get caught - the fines could cripple them financially.

'100% Natural-Locally Filtered-Pure Beeswax'

What exactly does that mean?

Imported wax, melted, then filtered on site is my opinion

Nos da

you are totaly correct there

'100% Natural-Locally Filtered-Pure Beeswax'

What exactly does that mean?

Imported wax, melted, then filtered on site is my opinion

:icon_204-2:
Locally filtered... could mean that it has been filtered anywhere local to their premises!

One for Trading Standards... but what is the exact meaning of LOCAL ???

Yeghes da

Back