Possible High Blood Pressure

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busybee53

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
none now
At the moment I am having tests to see if I have high blood pressure. Online it says that although exercise is good for this you should not do such things as weightlifting or press ups.

I have stopped the press up but don't do weightlifting as a sport. Does any one know if shifting supers and brood boxes about has the same effect on the body as weightlifting does?

Thanks

Lose weight if nec... big cause of high BP. Watch diet. But may be familial so medication needed.
But if you lift correctly, (bendee xe kneez) should be ok.

I have high blood pressure 140 over 100.

I weighlifted when younger, do lots of pressups.. and have a BMI under 24. Don't east or drink to excess, don't take much salt or sugar and still walk 20+ miles a week.. I've had high BP all my life.

I am now an OAP and still alive...:sunning:

As far as lifting hives- bend knees as above. Legs are stronger than backs and arms.. And don't go for large supers or double brood .. one large brood box does not have to be lifted often.

And set your hive stands at c 45cms/21inches off the ground so you don't have to bend to inspect the first (only) brood box.

Of course, TBHs with hinged roof = no lifting at all.

At the moment I am having tests to see if I have high blood pressure. Online it says that although exercise is good for this you should not do such things as weightlifting or press ups.

I have stopped the press up but don't do weightlifting as a sport. Does any one know if shifting supers and brood boxes about has the same effect on the body as weightlifting does?

Thanks

ask the doc...

if you go on medication beware of side effects, e.g. faintness on getting up fast, hot showers/bath causing faintness.

btw.. I nearly always have high blood pressure when the b.p. is measured in hospital..
its the side effect hospitals have on me :)

High BP can be managed in many ways and in some cases, will require very few lifestyle changes. Madasafish makes some good suggestions (healthy diet etc), but your doctor must be the one who advises, based on your unique circumstances (age, weight, lifestyle etc).
As a health professional, I would strongly advise you to get qualified advice. I'm pretty sure you'll be ok to carry on beekeeping (make it as easy as you can for yourself), but get more info on your condition first. There are too many variables that make any advice you receive here of questionable value, no matter how well-meaning it is (and this is a great forum!).
Good luck, and hope you get some guidance very soon.
T

My wife had a period of time when she had high BP we believe caused by stress. GP was bit grouchy and suggested after the third visit she either "Go on medications for life or buy a BP measuring machine"

We bought one of these, both of us use it regularly and her BP is quite normal now...

http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/blood-pressure-monitor-and-cuff-16309

At the price it was worth a try and it beats a life time of medication. I think many people have a bit of white coat syndrome which affects results in the surgery.

BTW we did test it against a "proper" BP testing machine and it was almost identical in the readings.

Is it a coincidence that your blood pressure goes up at the very time the bees might be thinking of swarming?

At the price it was worth a try and it beats a life time of medication. I think many people have a bit of white coat syndrome which affects results in the surgery.

BTW we did test it against a "proper" BP testing machine and it was almost identical in the readings.

We have one to test at home. I hate sitting in waiting rooms being kept waiting so by the time I get in to have it checked it's through the roof. They did a 24 hr test eventually and it's actually fine unless I've been sat in the waiting room.

That would be iatrogenic high blood pressure... iatrogenic means caused by doctors but it doesn't sound as if they are to blame ;-)

Also, if you like liquorice, and eat a lot, apparently it can raise BP. :( I miss my panda bars.

Yep, raised BP at hospital.. 'white coat syndrome'. Get a sphygmomanometer from chemist, great investment. True readings and easy to use. Helps the doc too. Don't want medication if pos, and def not if BP normal'ish at home.

Yep, raised BP at hospital.. 'white coat syndrome'. Get a sphygmomanometer from chemist, great investment. True readings and easy to use. Helps the doc too. Don't want medication if pos, and def not if BP normal'ish at home.

Nowt to do White coats, but Hospital doors and Hospital smell, they make my BP rise, then some talk of crush and joint injuries makes my BP and me fall rapidly :)

I heard the same about black pepper.

That interesting, I have not heard of them causing high blood pressure , I love both of them and regularly indulge.
I was diagnosed with high BP after going to doctors on three occasions with blown blood vessels in my eyes and headaches.
I have been on medication for a while now and BP is well down, I find the bees generally lower my BP but work stress does cause it to go high. Even now, especially when I have to deal with a new member of staff straight out of Uni.........can feel it going up just thinking of him, Muppet!
S

:iagree:

And take a list of your readings to your next appointment - worked for me. I am told that it is very difficult to get off the medication once you have started.

I find the bees generally lower my BP but work stress does cause it to go high. Even now, especially when I have to deal with a new member of staff straight out of Uni.........can feel it going up just thinking of him, Muppet!

Ha.. I know a beekeeper like that. Makes a few of us ill. Ignoring for self preservation.

Lots of natural remedies that you can also try ... Hawthorn syrup - just a teaspoon full a day can work wonders. Not easy to buy it but it's dead easy to make ... when the hawthorn haws are nice and red they can be picked and turned into a concentrated syrup -- plenty of recipes on the net. I like to combine them with rose hips ... I like the flavour of rose hip syrup and it takes away the slightly astringent taste of the pure hawthorn.

If you can't wait for 'real' hawthorn berries then you can make it from dried haws which you can buy very cheaply on ebay. Again, loads of recipes.

I bottle it in small green beer bottles with the polythene caps you can buy in home brew shops to replace the crimped metal ones ... keeps for ages .. once opened store it in the fridge.

I too have slightly raised blood pressure and take (and have taken for nearly 10 years) Olnasartan ... (as well as my daily dose of Hawthorn syrup) no side effects whatsoever and blood pressure usually normal ... hip and haw syrup is packed with Vitamin C which is great for warding off winter colds ...

From the NHS site

Can eating too much black liquorice be bad for you?

Yes, particularly if you’re 40 or older, eating 57g (2 ounces) of black liquorice a day for at least two weeks could give you an irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia).

Black liquorice contains the compound glycyrrhizin, which is the sweetening compound taken from liquorice root. Glycyrrhizin can cause potassium levels in the body to fall. When that happens, some people experience abnormal heart rhythms, as well as high blood pressure, oedema (swelling), lethargy, and heart failure. Potassium levels usually go back to normal with no permanent health problems when you stop eating black liquorice.
Several medical journals have linked black liquorice to health problems in people over 40, some of whom had a history of heart disease and/or high blood pressure.

For most people liquorice found in foods is safe to eat, and safe when taken in large amounts for a short time in medicines.

If you are worried get your GP to put you on a 24 hr BP monitor, it eliminates the effects of white coat hypertension. If you do have high blood pressure you can do something about it sooner rather than later.

I was dianosed as having white coat hypertension when I joined the forces at 18, because I didn't fit the profile of someone with high BP. When I left 13 years later my new GP thought that it was worth a check so put me on a 24 hr monitor. Some of my readings were 210/180 and she was quite surprised I wasn't dead already.

After a year of tests there was no cause so I am permanently on medication. I changed meds a couple of times to find one that didn't cause side effects, the NHS starts you on the cheapest available meds and work up the price scale until you get to one that works for you. If you get diagnosed with high BP you will probably get put on Amlodapine while they try and work out a cause, this has loads of side effects, but you can change later on.

Ross

Back