Positioning a Polytunnel near apiary

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BernardBlack

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Have plans to site a polytunnel 2-3 metres from my apiary. To the south-west side, so it might block the sun from my hives in the later part of the day.

Would this hinder the bees in any way? Flight path, lack of sun etc?

(To be honest, I was thinking maybe my apiary was getting too much sun on warm days, as there is no real shade. So was maybe hoping, siting the poly tunnel might actually be beneficial).

Anyway, would like to know if anyone has any advice on this.

Try and use some netting at the door entrances, even if it's like a curtain this will help stop bees going in.
Have plans to site a polytunnel 2-3 metres from my apiary. To the south-west side, so it might block the sun from my hives in the later part of the day.

Would this hinder the bees in any way? Flight path, lack of sun etc?

(To be honest, I was thinking maybe my apiary was getting too much sun on warm days, as there is no real shade. So was maybe hoping, siting the poly tunnel might actually be beneficial).

Anyway, would like to know if anyone has any advice on this.

just be mindful that a good few bees are going to end up inside the polytunnel
More than a few I would hazard a guess.....a few years ago I stupidly placed a couple of extracted supers next to my polytunnel , long story short, the board I placed on top became dislodged attracting what seemed to be thousands of bees , a good percentage of which ended up in the tunnel, an experience I've no wish to repeat.

I'd be more tempted to have the hives S of the polytunnel (or just downwind of whichever direction the prevailing wind is in Winter). Will give more protection for overwintering and make things slightly easier for the bees.

I'd be more tempted to have the hives S of the polytunnel (or just downwind of whichever direction the prevailing wind is in Winter). Will give more protection for overwintering and make things slightly easier for the bees.
Aye i had mine on the North side of the tunnel.

If it turns out to be a problem it's likely to be easier to move the hive rather than re-site the polytunnel at a later date!

But I will need some to go in for pollination purposes. I suppose they would find their way in, even with netting?
Ok I didn't realise this, you can get/make vents which run along the roof either side.
I have a mate who uses high sided open polys for raspberries/strawberries but even so bees still get trapped, maybe have a think about the type of polytunnel you are going to use, you could always mod one so the sides can be lifted up which would help.
I think you are going to loose some what ever you do if you want bees to pollinate.

Ok I didn't realise this, you can get/make vents which run along the roof either side.
I have a mate who uses high sided open polys for raspberries/strawberries but even so bees still get trapped, maybe have a think about the type of polytunnel you are going to use, you could always mod one so the sides can be lifted up which would help.

I've been tempted to make vents in mine right at the top of the ends, above the doors. That's where most of the insects seem to end up when they get stuck.

James

Back