Posca pens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.a z n.co.uk/Marker-Medium-1-8-2-5mm-Assorted-5014013-01/dp/B001QLIGGM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365507441&sr=8-1&keywords=posca+pens

Fill in missing spaces ma o

Colin

Remember to shake the pen to mix the contents and to press the tip on your thumb nail rather than the Queen !
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Remember to shake the pen to mix the contents and to press the tip on your thumb nail rather than the Queen !
VM

Also do not leave in the sun before use!!

VM

Some of us know which ones are our thumbs, without having to mark them

:D sorry for discriminating against the leather glove lovers !
Vm

Posca paint doesn't stick, IME.

Maybe it's because the beekeeping suppliers can't buy 1,000 of this year's colour, so buy 1,000 packs of 5 colours mixed. Then it's pot luck whether your "this year's colour" pen has been on the shelf for a few months, five years, ten years...

The lady at MDBKA course said she uses humbrol enamel...
I think him indoors mostly has helicopter colours though...

The lady at MDBKA course said she uses humbrol enamel...
I think him indoors mostly has helicopter colours though...

Indeed, I prefer Humbrol. £1 a tin, apply with matchsticks.

Humbrol-gloss.jpg

No comment on the matchsticks!

But how long do you give for the Humbrol to dry? (Used to take ages on my Airfix kits...)
And, though I've heard of it being used, I'd have thought that its smell might have caused problems, like balling. Any trouble there?

Eco water based tipex comes with light sponge applicator, dries quickly, always white so write year/month in permanent marker on side of hive. Look at hive to see when queen was new and marked. If unmarked queen in hive know she has been superseded or swarmed. That's how I do it anyway!

But how long do you give for the Humbrol to dry?

10-15 seconds, then back into circulation. No problems of rubbing off.

And, though I've heard of it being used, I'd have thought that its smell might have caused problems, like balling. Any trouble there?

Nope.

Eco water based tipex comes with light sponge applicator, dries quickly, always white so write year/month in permanent marker on side of hive. Look at hive to see when queen was new and marked. If unmarked queen in hive know she has been superseded or swarmed. That's how I do it anyway!

White plays havoc in late summer inspections with balsam pollen striping. Planning to use pink or duck-egg blue or similar next white year. Enough colour to differentiate but not enough to look red, blue, etc.

colourcardslide.jpg

Possibly Middleton Pink, maybe Calamine... :D

Medium it is then.

Thanks.

I'll have enough problems getting the lid off the pen, without having to worry about the right size matchstick, and trying not to knock or kick a tiny tin of paint over :rolleyes: but thanks for the idea.

The pens come in loads of different colours, do you reckon pale pink or pale blue would be better than either yellow or white?

I use the bright pink to mark all my queens.

Latest posts

Back