Old Thornes Honey Spinner question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommoh

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi all.
I inherited an old Thornes honey spinner and one of the tap bolts has snapped. Does anyone know what size it may be as the spinner is still working fine. It could well be an imperial size as it’s approximately 7mm in diameter wide and M7 bolts are hard to come by.06B1274C-8443-4444-BF95-F693155C982D.jpeg

Hi all.
I inherited an old Thornes honey spinner and one of the tap bolts has snapped. Does anyone know what size it may be as the spinner is still working fine. It could well be an imperial size as it’s approximately 7mm in diameter wide and M7 bolts are hard to come by.View attachment 37050
Have you spoken to thornes…….the main suppliers are generally happy to help and may even have parts?

Hi all.
I inherited an old Thornes honey spinner and one of the tap bolts has snapped. Does anyone know what size it may be as the spinner is still working fine. It could well be an imperial size as it’s approximately 7mm in diameter wide and M7 bolts are hard to come by.View attachment 37050
Thorne's still sell the whole tap

Hi all.
You have 2 options, either buy the whole tap or buy A4 stainless Steel bolts M8. What I have done with those taps, I bought the A4 Stainless steel M8 45mm length of thread, as well as M8 washers and M8 wingnuts with the wingnuts face towards you. I found the plastic bolts are not forgiving and the thread damages if you over tighten slightly.

this is standart metric M8 bolt
you can get it everywhere just check length from bottom headbolt (not top) ,the best is stainless steel
It’s exactly 7mm diameter, so wouldn’t that be too small for an M8 bolt?

Attachments

• 780DE0B2-B6F8-4C75-9E9C-3AE4372ACE09.jpeg
    780DE0B2-B6F8-4C75-9E9C-3AE4372ACE09.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Ended up fitting a steel M8 25mm hex bolt and it seems to be working ok. Just finished the summer harvest so may be a while before it’s used in anger again. Thanks all for the help.

It’s exactly 7mm diameter, so wouldn’t that be too small for an M8 bolt?
You are measuring between the thread pitch and getting a reading of 7mm, instead of measuring along the top of the pitches to get 8mm. If you used the gauge diagonally you would get a reading of 8mm.

Latest posts

Back